Chapter 1

This is my first time publishing anything. Comment if you want to, I could use some constructive criticism. Pic on the right is raven ------->

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sidney was staring out the window wishing it would stop snowing. She wanted to go skiing or at least sledding with her little sister but until the storm cleared up she was stuck inside. Suddenly she heard a noise behind her and whirled around to see a tall, shadowy figure dressed in a black robe with the hood up so she couldn't see the intruder's face and carrying a huge scythe.

"Who are you?" she asked, sounding much braver than she felt.

"I am death," the figure answered in a strangely feminine voice.

Feeling much more confident Sidney replied, "Ok Rachel, knock it off I know it's you."

"Who's Rachel?" The intruder answered, taking off her hood to reveal a girl about Sidney's age with black hair that was unnaturally straight for having just been covered up by a hood. "I'm death. Or at least, filling in for him. Leo isn't feeling well."

"You- you're not kidding?" Sidney asked in a small voice."

"Why would I joke about something like that?"

"I don't know, maybe- wait death's name is Leo?"

"Well ya what's wrong with that?"

"I thought death's name was Death."

"No that's the job title. It gets passed down through the family."

"through the family?"

"Well sure. The Death family is just a regular family with supernatural job related powers who live longer than normal. I'm next in line to be death."

"Isn't death a boy?"

"Not always, the current one is."

"I can honestly say that this is the strangest thing that has ever happened to me."

"Well it's about to get a lot stranger," the substitute death said, a serious look on her face. "I'm Raven by the way."

"What so toy mean it's going to get stranger?"

"I mean that I need you to help me save the world."