Chapter 5

"Hurry up kid!" Hissed Dean, jiggling the doorknob of the locked door in irritation.

He was getting antsy. Every moment she spent in that hospital room, the harder it would be to escape the building. There was no doubt in his mind that with every passing second, Crowley was accumulating more demons outside. It was only a matter of time before they came through the doors and the carnage spilled into the hallways of the hospital.

Several more minutes ticked by and there was still no sign that she was going to appear any time soon. Sam was beginning to grow restless now, knowing she should be out there with them. A thought occurred to the trio.

"Dean..." Cas was interrupted just as his eyes shifted from a faraway place back to the older brother.

"Son of a bitch," Dean muttered and turned to kick in the hospital door. It took no time for the door to crack and fall into the room.

Sam rushed in behind his brother and saw the breeze blowing the blinds in from the window – she was gone.

The younger brother's face fell. He had thought he had made a connection with the wayward daughter of angels. Apparently he hadn't. His gaze carried to the window where both he and Dean looked outside and braced for the worst.

Nothing.

Not one demon, blood splatter, or girl in a tattered jacket appeared below. They were partially relieved that the demons hadn't gotten to her, at least it didn't appear so and that she hadn't fallen to her death.

"She's five blocks north." Castiel echoed behind them.

The apple green eyes rolled and he stormed through the door, hardly caring how his angel knew her precise location. Sam followed just behind his brother. He could hear him muttering many things under his breath, several about how he would "wring her neck if she was dead" when they caught up to her and how he was "too old for this". He cared, even if he had a funny way of showing it.

Castiel appeared in the backseat of the Impala by the time the brothers jumped in. The moment he heard the distinct creak and slam of his brother's door open and close, Dean slammed his foot on the gas pedal causing the Chevy's tire's to squeal.

It was Sam who broke the silent tension.

"Dean, she doesn't want to be found. Maybe it's for the best that she's gone." Dean remained silent, so Sam continued. "We don't even know what the hell she is. No lore, no leads, and nothing that the angels can help us with."

He could see his brother's knuckles turn white and felt the car shift into a higher speed beneath him. There were several minutes of agonizing silence. After all the time they had spent in that car, one would have thought that the silence was a usual thing. Silence wasn't unusual in long car rides where they were driving for six or seven hours, but the tension as of late that surrounded Dean Winchester was enough to make Castiel sit back against the seat.

"Turn right," Castiel said, watching as the wheel turned under Dean's guidance.

"She's got powers, Sammy." Dean said finally, "Hell you said it, we don't even know what she is - Shut up Cas you know what I mean."

His hand flew up just as the angel was about to open his mouth – Dean had caught movement in the review mirror - but decided it was better to remain silent. Leaning back, again, against the seat, he waited till they got to their next turn to give directions.

"All I'm saying is that I'm not about to let someone die because we didn't do what we always do. She's dangerous. Remember when we let Benny go?"

"You want to kill her? We don't even know if she's killed anyone, Dean. We hunt things that hurt people and so far the only person she's hurt is Cas." Sam's voice was distraught – Dean was a mere shadow of the brother he once knew. The brother he knew would do everything he could to prevent blood from being spilled, especially if it was innocent. They had changed so much and had resorted to killing demons again instead of exorcising them as they once had.