The Celebration

The days leading up to the UFOrdinance's grand picnic and the week-long holiday passed quickly. I saw little of Asher, which was fine by me, because I was feeling more and more uneasy about everything. In the hallways I would, however, see members of the club as they lumbered obliviously to their respective classes. Some of them waved at me, and I hesitantly returned the gesture with a slight smile. It was kind of nice to have friends.

I wake up Saturday to harsh sunlight slipping through the cracks in my window blinds. My clock tells me it's barely past eight o'clock, and with a sigh,  I push myself out of my cozy bed. Noah had said to be at the picnic site an hour before noon, which would give everyone time to set up before the actual event. As we drew closer and closer to the picnic, I was finding that this was definitely more than I had originally expected.

Yawning, I shuffle over to my closet to grab a simple t-shirt and shorts. From what I'd heard, this wasn't a formal occasion, and for that I was grateful. I wasn't sure the geeks could do formal. An image of Geoffrey in a tuxedo pops into my head and I snort. Nope, I think, can't do it.

My mother plods into the kitchen as I'm finishing breakfast. She is dressed in her casual errand clothes, but her shoulders are slumped in what I assume must be exhaustion. She looks at me wearily. "Going somewhere today?" she asks.

I nod. "Yep, my club is having a picnic at noon." She dips her head in acknowledgement and starts for the door. I stand quickly. "And I was wondering..." I say suggestively. "If, maybe, I could perhaps use your car to get there?"

My mom sighs and turns back towards me. "Noon, you said?" She makes a face. "Where is it?"

"The city park."

She shakes her head. "I don't think so," she says. "I have to go to drop some things off in Martindale during lunch." Martindale is a city about an hour and a half away. I frown. "But," my mother says. "I could drop you off there at..." she glances at her fancy watch. "A quarter 'til ten."

"Ten!" I start to protest, but my voice catches when I see my mother's glare. "Alright," I mumble. "Let me get everything together."

I march off into my room. Now, what would I do during the hour that I waited for them to show up? My eyes drift to the tool shed my dad had built in the backyard. After only a split second of thought, I venture inside the building, cringing as cobwebs cling to my hair.

"Curse this place," I mutter. "Dad should at least clean it once a year or two."

In the corner under some badly drawn blueprints, I find what I'm looking for. It's coated with dust and I blow on it, then nearly cough my lungs out as the stuff fills the air. When I finally regain my breath, I tuck my find underneath my arm and begin to make my way out of the cave.

Outside, the sun is nearly blinding. One look at my body makes me frown. I am covered in the heavy gray dust that had hid itself in the shed for what seems like hundreds of years. I shake my head and dust falls down like rain. Sighing, I reexamine my prize. It's in perfect condition, from what I can discern. But to make sure, I throw it forcefully to the cement ground.

The basketball leaps back at my face and I snatch it from the air, smiling. I had never really cared for the sport, but an empty hour at the park seemed like just the place to bring my neglected equipment. Also, I think, I can practice the form Noah taught me last week.

I change into a fresh set of clothes and give my hair a hurried brush before leaping into my mother's car, tacos in hand. She looks at my dirty face for a moment before starting the engine. "Don't get it on the seats," she says.