Chapter 1: Unlikely Encounters

Cheyenne's POV

The latch of the office door clicked behind me as I pulled the key out of the lock. It was unbearably late and I was entirely too tired to even look at the clock. All I knew was that five blocks from this door my warm bed and fuzzy cat Bosco waited patiently for me. As my heels clacked on the sidewalk an unusually cold breeze blew and raised goosebumps up and down my arms. Of course, I forgot my jacket in the office. I turned directly around to retrieve as there was no sense getting sick in the cold, and the way my career was taking off I couldn't afford to get sick. I pushed the key back into the lock and opened the door, not bothering to turn on the lights. As I made my way to my cubicle a slight movement near Mr. Pape's office door caught my eye. I could feel my heartbeat pick up and my breathing begin to get heavier.

"It's probably nothing" I thought to myself, "Just a shadow." I put my head down and tried to get my eyes to adjust a bit quicker to the dark office. I felt my way around my desk until my hand hit the soft leather of my jacket. I breathed a sigh of relief and made my way quickly as possible back to the door. I took one quick last look around before locking it behind me, with the eerie feeling that someone was watching me...

Harry's POV

I hadn't the foggiest idea of how long I'd been crouched in this awful janitor's closet but the over powering stench of bleach was beginning to go to my head. I had snuck in during the office lunch hours when there was only one person in the whole building.. the janitor. After I politely rendered him unconscious and sat him back in his van I waited out the Heilbrun & Pape work day in the closet, waiting until it was safe to exit unseen. Little had I known that one very diligent employee liked to work until unspeakable hours of the night. It had to be at least 1 am before she finally began to pack up her paperwork. After what seemed like an eternity I saw the lights flick off, heard the latch on the door lock, and the click-clack of her heels as she stomped off down the sidewalk.

I slowly and cautiously made my way out of the closet and maneuvered my way around the maze of cubicles, desks, and copiers. I pulled out my phone and quickly reviewed the coded message from Cam that contained the files I was to be retrieving. I stealthily made my way through the darkness to Mr. Pape's office door where I was sure the files would be when I heard the door unlatch. My expert instincts took over and I ducked into the shadow of a particularly large filing cabinet. The lights never turned on but through the moonlight I could make out the silhouette of none other than the firm's most diligent employee.

She felt her way around a couple desks and cubicle wall until she apparently found what she was looking for and took off for the door. I watched her small figure lock the door and take off down the street. I looked after her shadow for a minute and then restarted my trek to Mr. Pape's office. As I began to pick the lock on the gold plated door handle, the LED lights on my phone flashed in my back pocket, alerting me of a phone call... Cam.

"Go" I spoke in a hushed tone into the phone.

"Did you get the stuff I asked for?" he questioned.

"I'm working on it Mr. Henrik." I answered impatiently.

"Well stop working on it. There has been more developments in the lawsuit against me and we're going to need to figure out exactly how much dirt Pape has on me." Henrik responded.

"So what would you like me to do, sir?"

"You're going undercover kid"