Date Night

Max sat heavily in one of the diner's high chairs, leaning against the counter.

She was thankful for the empty establishment – it gave her time to think.

It's hard to think of this as my new life. My old life doesn't feel like a decade ago – It feels so much longer. Still, every day of my life, I'm looking at the differences. It's become an obsessive game for me. Such small details, so different from before. I didn't even know Kate was an Arcadia Bay Native. Should I have befriended her that soon? She was so accepting of Chloe and me, even before we were together. We've all become even better friends since. I can see the friendship between father and daughter; I wish I was there for her when she stood up for our friendship to her mom, but she said it was handled well. And she's always so happy. I'm sure she was happy before she met me, but this time, when she goes to a friend for help, my words will actually mean something. She'll never have to feel alone. I think I just answered my own question.

She looked around the diner. I can't believe I volunteered to work here seven years ago. It's gotten so much bigger around me. It's almost a restaurant at this point, but it still has that same feel. I'm glad that after all the fortune that's come their way, they still stick to these jobs. I guess, given the choice, most would do what makes them happy. If they were happy before, then I guess there isn't much of a difference to them.

A part of me worries that they're saving all that money for Chloe and me. We're beyond taken care of, with Miss Fields being an unofficial sponsor of us. I need to find a way to tell them without freaking them out. They were already confused as hell when I bought Chloe a truck for her seventeenth. Thankfully, Chloe thinks it came from William. He wouldn't have thought of the modifications I had arranged for it. Obviously, he didn't. That thought made her cringe. Cynical, much? I'm glad they both have my back, or maybe they think the money's from my parents. It's done, anyways. A normal truck, with the durability of a tank. I just hope she doesn't get in an accident. It would be hard to explain why there is barely a scratch. And why her wraparound has shock absorbers like a fucking bumper car.

She absently rubbed her multicolored wristband, looking up at the ceiling. I feel like she's up to something. We usually go to lunch together. Yet, here I am, alone. Maybe she's getting ready for Prom. Or she's working on a painting she doesn't want me to see yet. She seemed to really like the picture I took of the both of us, looking at our wall of photos. That's a checkpoint photo I'll proudly cherish.

We're getting closer to that date. Judgement Day is an appropriate name. I can't seem to stop counting down the days in my journal. Through all the fun Chloe and I have had, It's under a raincloud sometimes. I can't believe how positive she is sometimes. I can't help but think it's because of me. And I'm so happy with her, when I'm not doubting the over looming doom I carry. I never want it to go away.

I find it really hard to forget details – near impossible. I remember every time we've embraced, every kiss we shared since her first kiss two years ago. I remember every time she needed comforting, every smile she's ever had. I guess I've always been a freak when it comes to details – I remember the old Chloe's smile, too.

I hope you're not mad at me. You actually enjoy school – you like the challenge. You love helping little kids. You love tutoring. Just the other day, you told me about a guy you helped out a few months ago and he looked so utterly depressed. He's now in LA, with a wife, and apparently a calling. I don't know how a waitress would have such a presence, but you did. You are what you've always wanted to be. Your parents are so proud of what you've become. I'm so proud of you, Chloe.

And that's why I have to let the past go. You will always be my pirate buddy. But I feel like I'm cheating on my Butterfly. I love you so much. And I always will. But you don't exist anymore. She'll never replace you in my heart and mind, but in every single other way, she is you. Time travel is fucked up that way.