Chapter Two

I didn't dare let her in; my mom of course. I didn't want her, and I didn't need her. It had been four years and I was doing great with Rebecca. As soon as she saw me on the porch laying there in disbelief, she rushed through the crowd and kneeled beside me. I didn't recognize her at first. But her soft voice rang the bell of past memories. "Honey? Are you OK?" She spoke. I rolled over on my side, my face towards hers. "Mom? Is that you?" I sniffled. I know she left us girls and dad, but seeing a comforting face was just what I needed. But my emotions were all mixed. I rolled back over and wept some more. "Honey please, let me talk to you. I know what's happened. I'm so sorry. I should've stayed, I should've..." Mom trailed off, as I heard her sniffle. "I don't want anyone. I don't want you, and I don't love you. You never loved me or Rebecca." I said while I tried to sort my emotions. Mom struggled to speak. She sat there for some time, while paramedics and officers were still running everywhere, and news reporters were starting to show up.
After ten minutes, I had hid my face in my fuzzy navy blue coat. Mom was still sitting in front of me, waiting for me to say something to let her in. But I sat there and thought, and cried, and felt like I was nothing. I felt like I had no purpose, like there was no light in me. Who? Who would murder such a beautiful person? Who would murder someone that cares more about people than herself? Or the person that made my life complete. Mom was there when I was younger, but it was Rebecca who  braided my hair, packed my lunches, and gave me hugs and kisses when I scraped my knee. I loved her more then the stars could tell. She lived with principles, with her dreams set, and her heart in the right place. I would say she was bright, but that's not the right word. She had a glow, that would fill a room. When something made her frustrated, she wouldn't be mad like most people, she would just turn on that glow, and push it out. I admired her. She was my idle, my whole reason for my life. But that was gone. And so was moms chance of coming back.
    I finally got the courage to speak up to mom, who was resting against the beam of the porch. "You lost your chance. You can't just leave four years, and expect to be welcomed when you come back. It doesn't work that way. And now that my own sister has been viscously murdered, I just can't find a place for you to hurt me again." Mom looked at me with those gray eyes. "I know, Lea. I know that I have caused a lot of pain, especially when your father left you and Rebecca here to fend for yourselves. I'm sorry I left you in the dust. I was mad, and I felt like you never needed me. Please let me make it up to you." She said.
"I can't do this. Who would just outright kill such a person like Rebecca? Who would have that much cold blood in them to do that?" I said. Mom looked up at the gray sky, the same gray that filled her eyes. "I don't know. I really don't know." She repeated as she looked back at me with a sorrowful expression, and tears in her eyes. She inched closer to me, and wrapped her arms around my cold body. Her warmth was so comforting, that I couldn't help but hug her back. We sat there embracing each other for hours, while Rebecca was still in that retched room, her soul no longer on this earth, and her killer, still out there.