Chapter 9

The next morning I woke up on the floor next to Jaxon's bed. He was already awake.

"Morning." He said.

"Morning." I replied, groaning.

"I was thinking, maybe we missed something at your house. We should take another look." He said.

"Yeah, okay. Let's go."

Then we left his house and headed towards mine. When we arrived I immediately noticed that the door was open. I was suddenly panicked. I ran towards the door and pushed it open.

I gasped.

"OH MY GOD!" Jaxon shouted, rushing to my side.

My mum's body lay motionless on the ground in a pool of blood. There was a small hole on the side of her head where the blood was coming from.

"MUM!" I shouted, falling onto my knees in front of her. "MUM, WAKE UP!"

Jaxon put his hand on her chest. Then his expression turned to something that could only mean one thing. "There's no heartbeat."

"No. No. No, she can't be. Call an ambulance, DO SOMETHING!"

"Hazel,  I'm sorry." 

Tears streamed down my cheeks.

"Touching." I heard a familiar voice say.

I turned round to see Elsie standing in the doorway. "Elsie, what are you doing here?" I barely managed to get the words out through my tears.

"Isn't it obvious?" She replied.

"YOU DID THIS?!" Jaxon shouted.

"Well I'm glad someone here figured it out." She said.

"WHAT?! HOW COULD YOU?! WHY?!" I shouted furiously, tears pouring from my eyes.

"Well don't look that upset. It's not like she's your real mother." She said, a cruel smile spreading across her face.

"What are you talking about?" I said, anger boiling in my veins.

"Well, now. Where do I start? This woman is your guardian not your mum. You come from a planet called Caeli Urbs. That's where your family's from. You can visit them there if you like. May I recommend the graveyard?"

I slowly stood up, a ball of fire burning inside me. I thought she was my best friend. She lied to me my whole life. It was only now that I realised her eyes were black. I started to charge at her but I was held back by a pair of hands. It was Jaxon. Just as I turned back to Elsie, I felt a hard blow against my cheek. I stumbled back and hit the ground.

"Hazel!" Jaxon shouted.

He helped me up. My face was throbbing with pain and I felt blood dripping from my face.

"You're such a fool, Hazel. Don't you know? I'm a venator. We wear protection spells. BTW that means I can't be hurt by people like you.

Then, to my surprise, Jaxon ran at Elsie, after shouting,"What about people like me?" He punched Elsie in the face so hard that I heard a loud smack. Elsie fell over from the power of the blow.

She got back up straight away and gave an evil laugh."Wow, so protective. But do you get it now? I can't be hurt. Especially not by you, Jaxon."

"I know, but no traitor best friend hurts my real best friend." He said."That was just payback."

Jaxon protected me. I blushed and then looked down. I saw my blood on the floor. Suddenly I saw a glimpse of a girl with brown hair, around my age in the reflection of the blood. Then it vanished. I looked back up at Elsie. Anger swirled up inside me. She was never really my best friend. It was all just one big lie. She killed my mum or my guardian or both!

Suddenly my fists started to heat up. They were burning but I couldn't feel the pain. I was so angry, I wasn't aware of Jaxon's look of horror or Elsie's protection spell. I was channeling the anger inside of me and, trust me, there was a lot. Then I released all the hate and anger in one big explosion of fire and delivered a blazing hot punch to Elsie's stomach. She flew backwards, out the door, and slammed onto the ground with a massive thud.

Then she got up, stared at me furiously, and then vanished into thin air.

I turned to Jaxon."Thank you for punching her." I said.

"Well, no one hurts my best friend."He replied.

"Oh, yeah. Best friend. We're best friends. Of course." I said.

Then he hugged me. When we pulled away, I looked into his eyes.

Your eyes are so beautiful. I wouldn't change anything about you.

I pulled away, turned towards the door, and started to walk away from him. But just before I reached the door I spun round and ran into his arms. Then I kissed him and he kissed me back. It was amazing. All the anger and sadness that I had been feeling simply vanished in the period of a split second. All I felt was happiness and I was only thinking about him.

Read The Girl Who Lost Her Name by @mary180105  to find out more about this book because you'll find out where Elsie vanished to.