Chapter 3- Everything Has Changed

At first Adam hoped that he had just woken up from a bad dream. From a nightmare. The minute his head hit the pillow in Willow's Creek he was back in Los Angeles. He was not in his room though. No, rather he was on the best spot in the city. If you went up one of LA's rocky hills, most likely you would find yourself in trouble. But not this one. No, this one was special.

At night, it held the best view of a lit up Los Angeles. Adam and his buddies had found it when they were fifteen, and loved to throw big parties there. Whether it be for a birthday, a holiday, or just for the hell of it, that hill was where the best parties happened.

But it was emptiness that surrounded Marshall on Party Hill, just him and his home decorated in lights. He almost could not believe his eyes. He reached out as if to touch the glittering lights...

And was jolted awake by the rude buzzing of an old alarm clock. So much for just a dream. Damn it.

"Adam get up! You have school, and you don't wanna be late on your first day!" Uncle Barry shouted from downstairs. Adam cursed under his breath. He glanced over at the blinking numbers on the clock. 5:30 a.m. How could anyone wake up that early? Especially for something as pointless as school. He would rather walk all the way back to Los Angeles then go to some hillbilly school. Lord knows that is the only type of person that seemed to inhabit Willow's Creek. Adam could barely believe that he had once lived here. For twelve years at that!

Adam reluctantly threw the warm covers off of his body, his sock clad feet doing little to protect his toes from the icy wood floors. He wondered how many stares he would get once at the school. From what he remembered, barely anyone moved to Willow's Creek. Come to think of it, he had never met someone who intentionally moved to Willow's Creek.

Adam spent as little time in the shower as possible, not wanting to get yelled at by that Jessica lady. He had the slightest feeling from the previous night's dinner that she was not very fond of him. He did not want to give her another reason to get pissed off.

Adam quickly dried his body and hair before pulling on some jeans and a maroon tee shirt. He ran a had through his semi- wet hair and stared at himself in the mirror, before making his way down the stairs.

The strong smell of eggs and bacon filled Adam's nose as he entered the rustic- style kitchen. Uncle Barry was hovering over two pans, while Jessica fixed herself what appeared as a cup of tea. Once Jessica sat, Adam immediately walked over to the coffee pot. Jessica stared at him for a moment as he poured himself a cup. It was as if it was the first time she had ever seen a teenager drink coffee. What could he say? Once you live in California for years, coffee becomes your best friend. Adam could easily drink a whole pot by himself before he was fully awake.

"Um, would you like some sugar? Or cream, maybe?" Jessica asked, an appalled look on her face. Adam shook his head a bit, taking a sip of his black coffee. Jessica's appalled look did not fade as he sat down across from her, continuing to drink his hot beverage with an ever-present smirk on his face.

Adam had decided that he would have some fun. Maybe Jessica's hate for him would make country living easier.

"All right let's get out of here," Uncle Barry said cheerfully after they had all finished their food. Adam just sighed and shrugged his bag over his shoulder. While Uncle Barry said his goodbyes to Jessica, Adam walked down the steps of the porch outside. The November air hugged him like a blanket, his sneaker clad feet stepping in the dewey grass. He could hear Uncle Barry's heavy footsteps pound down the steps and to his side.