one

"run," seven whispers. "your mom is coming."

i frown, rolling over in bed. "too tired," i mumble.

seven gets angry. my head starts hurting. i whine, but he doesn't stop.

"tyler. run, now," he tells me again, this time his voice is deeper, scarier. in pain, i get up and start putting on my shoes and grabbing my phone and jacket.

it's only six o'clock. it's just starting to get dark out and it's raining a bit. i start to wonder is seven is lying to me just so i'll get wet, but if i mention it he'll probably hurt me again.

"are you going to hide?" i ask him, zipping up my hoodie. he nods, and that makes me feel a bit better. i don't want my mom to hurt him.

seven opens the window for me. "don't come back until after its dark, okay?" he tells me. "good, now run."

i climb out the window and start running down the side walk. i don't really have a sense of direction or where to go, but i never do. i always seem to end up someplace though. usually some place safe, which is all that matters.

after a while, my legs get tired and i resort to walking. my socks are wet and my jacket is getting a little soggy. i probably should've gotten another jacket. my phone buzzes in my pocket and i get it out, seeing the name of my only friend other than seven.

"tyler? hey, where are you?" he asks. i hear sadness in his voice. i don't want him to be sad.

"i'm in the rain. walking towards the laundromat, i think."

"why are you walking in the rain?" he asks.

"seven said mom was coming home."

i hear the faint jiggle of car keys, the ones i like the sound of. "keep walking and i'll be there in five minutes."

"okay."

he hangs up and i do as he said, finally making it to the laundromat. i sit on a bench inside. there's only a few people here and they don't seem to notice me.

it's still nice to be surrounded by real people, sometimes, as i wait for the familiar yellow headlights of a dark blue car i've slept many nights in.