Burp of Love

Instinctively, Deedee steps behind me. I wouldn’t blame her; I remember the mashed potato-ed spoon.

“Uh. No.” Mr Lockridge says as he pulls forward the woman. “It’s your Aunt Livia.”

“Aunt Livia?” Deedee gasps. “Your hair!”

Aunt Livia fluffs the blonde locks. “I know. My hair dresser said all the red hair dye was destroying my hair so I’m back to the raw me. Plus, I’ve been working out and lost three dress sizes.”

“You look stunning.” Deedee says in awe.

“And Mom?” Cars says.

I can feel my throat clogging up. I’m not usually such an emotional guy, but I can feel the pain in Cars and Deedee. Cars looks like his dog just got ran over and Deedee looks completely stricken. Both of their eyes start getting misty.

Mr Lockridge says, “Your mother couldn’t make it.”

Deedee makes this strangled noise in the back of her throat. I pull her into a hug as she buries her face in my chest. Cars wraps his arms around Milli and we all stand there in silence.

“Oh my gosh! Cars! Deedee! Oh my gosh! Milli!” Alice flings herself at Deedee. Mikey’s studded boots thump as he trots across the floor. Mikey and Alice. Alice and Mikey. Cars and Deedee’s cousins. The wild child(ren). After Thanksgiving, Milli, Alice, and Mikey became a close group.

“Millicent, dear.” Another woman hustles towards us. “You all are blocking the elevator. Come along.”

The dining room is grand. And surprisingly, everyone is on their best behavior. Luc, noting that, leans over and says, “Look at ‘em all. So civilized. Probably because these Canadians will toss our tushes into the blizzard if we dare use the wrong fork for the salad.”

We snicker together and enjoy the dinner buffet. Milli and Cars stand up. “Attention.” Cars says.

“Hey! You nimrods! Yes, you! Are you listening?” Milli rolls her eyes at Luc and I. We shut up pretty quickly though.

Cars says, “So since tomorrow is the thirteenth, we plan on everyone doing their own thing. There are some sights to see or you can just lounge in the pool all day. I know Milli, Deedee, Alice, and the other bridesmaids are doing a spa day, but other than that, we have nothing planned besides frantic last minute plans. And no, we are not having a wedding rehearsal.”

“It’s going to be one of a kind.” Milli says and plants a kiss on Cars’s cheek. “Enjoy yourselves!”

Cars pushes back his chair and runs to the side. “Eric! You’re here!”

Eric gives him the manly pat on the back and moves on to Deedee, giving his sister a huge hug. He whispers something and then they’re both snickering and glancing at Cars and Milli. I wonder what that’s all about. Eric strides over to me. “Ned Nickerson. Runner up of the Mr December Contest. My soon to be brother in law.”

“What?” I exclaim.

“I’m just kidding.” He slaps me on the back and brushes past me after slyly saying, “Not.”

If only he wasn’t the best man, I would slug him on the spot. Little devil. The Lockridge kids line up for a photo. All tall, lean, blonde, and blue eyes. Cars’s buzz cut has barely grown out. Eric’s darker shade of blonde hair is in a trim, stylish cut. And Deedee looks good as always.

“Alright. Now one with the Mr Lockridge.” Kenny says.

They look so happy, yet they’re definitely missing a piece. Mrs Lockridge. I think I heard something about the wedding being streamed on live tv, so maybe she’ll get to see it. Speaking of live tv, all these reporters are outside, attempting to take our picture, but failing miserably due to the snow outside.