Chapter I

It seems like just yesterday I was laying in bed, reading stories on the internet and wishing I had an exciting life like those characters, feeling bored with life and the constant cycle of routine I lived in.. Oh yeah, it was.

I had just moved to a new town called Alderly. My mom thought it would be a good idea if we moved somewhere that was safer than the tiny house in the middle of a bustling gray city with faces that never smiled. She always said it was emotionally debilitating there, which was pretty true.

When I turned 11 I started noticing things better, like how gray and somber it was and how no one would stop in the streets to just talk with each other. Well sometimes short phrases were exchanged "Oh hey, how's the wife?" "Good.." And they would just walk on to do whatever mundane thing they were going to do.

And so now I'm here sitting on this big tree stump in the back of my new yard, kicking at the leaves that are scattered all around the place, pondering what new adventures may unfold in this mysterious new home. Maybe I'll find a secret group of teenagers who worship Zalgo or something.

"Jonathan, why are you just sitting there on that old tree stump!?" Calls my mom Anne from the back porch "You should go out and look around the neighbourhood! Maybe you'll find some friends and you can go play!" Play as in worship Zalgo..

"Or you can help unpack the car! You know, get your things moved into your room?" Nope! I'd rather get my soul sold to a demon, thank you very much!

"Nah, I'm gonna go bother some people and maybe find a person to follow around all the time and call them my 'bestie'!" I reply sarcastically. I'm 140 pounds of skin and bones, it's my only defence. "Maybe I'll call him Scott!"

My mom gives me a confused look and walks back inside. "Teens and their weird references.." She says before closing the sliding glass door.

So I get up, brush the dirt off, and walk to the gate at the side of the house and walk out to the front.

"Hmm... What now..?"

"Hey new guy! Hey!! What's up!?" Says some guy across the street.... On top of his house. He was standing on the roof of his house. Should I ask why?

"Uh, hey! Why are you on your house!?" I say

"I got up here through my window!" He says, pointing at the open window on his roof, designed to let the afternoon sun in. "Come over here, I'll show you why!!" ...Uh, okay? So I walk over to presumably his house, which is across the road and one house to the right. When walking there I saw him quickly go into his house, jumping into his room through the window with no caution at all. When I got to the front door, I could see through the glass in it that he is bounding down the stairs a few feet in front of the door to meet me. This guy is either weird, super friendly, or just really energetic. By the looks of it, all of the above.

He yanks the door open and- "Hey!! I saw your car go into the driveway of that empty house, are you moving in there!?" Woah, this guy is loud.. "It wasn't very hard to spot, you know. Your car, I mean" he says pointing at the van that had a aqua couch strapped to the roof.

"Yeah, we're moving in there and my mom was really determined to take everything with us. Literally the whole thing is filled with boxes of stuff." I say chuckling. "We barely fit in the thing ourselves!" Luckily it's just me, my younger brother, and my mom. Otherwise, we never would've been able to fit a fourth person's belongings in the old-yet-trusty van. We named it Trudy.

"That sounds awesome!! Anyways, come on in! I gotta show you why I was on my roof!!" He says, standing aside to let me pass into his house.