Nancy Bobofit

Percy Jackson was my crush.

I tried to get his attention by teasing his friends and him, but it was clear that that method was not working when he pushed me into the fountain back in 6th grade.

I know I was mean, but I was just... desperate for his attention.

Have you seen him? Black hair, green eyes, that sass of his, the way he stood up for his truly annoying Grover friend.

Jackson always got into trouble for what I did, because the math teacher, for some reason, liked me. I didn't even do anything!

Come on, I really only wanted to get his attention. I felt kind of bad for him.

After he pushed me into the fountain, I think he kind of went... insane. He started asking everyone about a certain Mrs. Dodds.

Who?

He insisted she was the math teacher. Like, what the heck? I hadn't heard of a Mrs. Dodds.

Anyways, after that year, he was gone.

Completely missing.

I tried asking around, where he had gone. A couple kids said they saw him on the news, because he was suspected of bombing a national monument.

Of course, I had to double check. A couple days later, however, it was clarified that he was kidnapped.

Poor Jackson. He was probably scarred for life.

After a year, I started to come to my senses. I realized I was stupid. To make my crush like me, I really should have been nice to him, know him better.

I learned, and I completely changed.

I wore nice clothes, started being nice. I tried desperately to make friends. 

Then came high school. It was a perfect chance to start over, redo, make up my reputation.

So... I did.

I talked to the teachers, sent out chocolate for Christmas, little cookies for Valentines Day and Halloween. 

Yet I still didn't have a boyfriend.

One day while I was a sophomore, one of the popular boys came up to me and finally asked me on a date. I happily agreed, even though I didn't know him that well. All I knew was that he was one of the soccer players, and his name was Nick.

I still thought about Percy quiet often, though. Where did he go? Why was I so stupid in bullying him to get attention?

No idea.

+++

"Nancy Bobofit." The chemistry teacher called.

"Here!" I raised my hand, then picked up my pencil again and started to quickly write my homework I didn't finish. I had completely forgotten about it, and my eyes flicked across the paper. Thank God, the homework wasn't long, just a couple multiple choice questions.

After the teacher finished filling in attendance, she wrote a bell activity on the board. She told us to work on it while she went around to check off the homework.

I swore quietly and adjusted my sweatshirt, then frantically circled answers on the page. 

I was on the second-to-last question and the teacher was checking mine next. Then, a miracle happened - the door slammed open, revealing none other than Percy Jackson.

I meant to finish my homework, but my jaw dropped. He was taller and muscular, a couple scars here and there (I was guessing from the kidnap), the same black hair and sea green eyes. He still looked mischievous, but there was a kind of... depth with his look. He looked mature and understanding. A little broken.