verona's death

Verona was born where the stars meet the sky, during the time when the moon turns her silver face from the planets and towards the Sun himself.

Her first memory was of a touch, at first, of someone stroking her hair, and the warmest feeling in her heart, like she would never be alone, never never never.

Her second memory was of her mother's voice, high and clear and pure, like a star's light, teaching her the stories of the ethereal sky that stretches on for eternity and the tiny pinpricks of dust that are called planets and the beacons of light that guide the little planets through the eternity of the nighttime sky. For all the time that she would live, Verona never found anything that was half so beautiful to her as her mother's voice was, even when Verona was only a babe in arms.

She grew up a happy star, shining underneath the all-encompassing light of the sun. The first time that her rays started turning into a silvery light instead of their usual white hue was when they found out she was a wishing star. Verona was immediately excited to be able to hear people's wishes from Earth, and one of the oldest stars wrapped a necklace around her neck that would allow her to grant wishes to those born under her light, and Verona feels strangely proud of her path. Perhaps she'd get to bring happiness to lots of humans' lives!

The first wish she ever heard was from a little girl who wanted a star for her Christmas tree, and Verona thought, wow, I really was meant to do this as she granted it quickly.

She loved being a wish granter; it made her feel like this, this is what I was born for, this is what I have always been meant to do, it's my destiny and for a time, that was all that mattered to her. At first, all she could hear was the voices of the children who asked for bikes and Christmases and puppies and treehouses, and she could give them those with a flicker of her light, and she loved it so much, she was so joyous in this work. She felt so fulfilled doing this, bringing smiles to children's faces.

But then, one night, after a full day of listening to heartwarming wishes on Mother's Day, was the first time she ever heard a selfish wish. I wish that today could have never happened. It was a young boy, who had just been scolded for taking something he shouldn't have, and who was currently sulking. Verona tried to figure out what she could do to make his day better, but came up blank. The thing was, she didn't actually know what these kids were like, only what they wanted. It was up to her better judgment to figure out what to give and what not to.

She forgot about that wish soon after, and was happily granting better-minded wishes on another day, until she heard another greedy one: I wish I could have all the things she has. Verona dismissed that wish too, but then there was another one the next day: Why can't they just leave this town? I hate them so much.

I wish my mom would just shut up

Wishing desperately that I get accepted and they don't

Wishing that my brother gets the blame and not me

Hope she gets so drunk and crashes her car