The Boy Who Lost His Sight: One Shot Contest

Fall 2012

As I watched the trees go by on the way to collage orientation I couldn't help but think back about how the summer went by so fast. Everything has changed ever since I moved to Florida from Lenore, last fall.

After High school graduation, and officially deciding to go to USF and after Riley decided to go to UCF, Riley and I agreed we had to plan out our next school year together. We had to see how things will work since we are going to be dating and going to different collages. Our relationship was going to take a lot of work and patience but I was going to be worth it in the end. We agreed to go to his family's house for Christmas break, along with Aaron and Sophie coming over for Christmas dinner. We came to this agreement because we knew Aaron would have made way to much food for just him and Sophie and Gale would have probably invited him and Sophie over anyway.

Since after graduation Aaron decided Ms. Gale wasn't my English teacher anymore so he asked her out on a official date. But we all knew they had had a secret 'thing' going on since April.

Riley and I also agreed to go to my family's for the beginning of spring break and the rest of break he said he had planned us a surprise. But as a good friend Aiden is and since he knows how much  I loath surprises he already told me what Riley was planning.

Alaska. That's were Riley is planning to take me on spring break. Since Riley's eye operation he hasn't really left much of Florida, besides New Jersey where some of his family is, so he hasn't seen snow since he was younger. So beautiful Alaska is where we are going. But, I'm not complaining, as long as I am with my wonderful boyfriend.

Ben and Reese both decided to go to Middle Georgia State College, together! A few weeks after school got out Ben broke down and finally asked Reese out on a date. And they have been inseparable ever since. Now they argue about who loves each other more (which the verdict is still out) and what movie they should go see next at the theater. They are even planning on finding an apartment together in Georgia, and have insisted we have to come and visit over New Years.

Aiden is planning on moving into his dorm next week and has asked me if it was okay if he stole my lovely boyfriend for the weekend next week, and I reluctantly said yes but only if Riley came to orientation with me this weekend. Riley responded in sticking his tongue out before saying, "Duh, of course I am coming with you, babe." Which made we laugh at his childish ways and kiss him on the cheek.

We have been on the road for half an hour now and were on our way to the University of Southern Florida. USF was approximately 2 hours and 15 minutes away from my home with Aaron and Sophie.

I had spent all last week packing with Reese. Even though I don't actually own enough stuff to take a week to pack it. We mostly just sat around taking about our boyfriends and collage plans.

Now, with all my stuff in the back of Riley's car which consisted of 2 small boxed and 3 bags, I looked at the clock in Riley's black convertible, 12:07 p.m. it read. "Are you getting hungry? There's a stop just up the road." Riley said almost reading my mind.

"Yeah, only if you want to stop. I can wait until we get there if you don't want to eat now." Just as I said that my stomach grumbled, causing me to blush. How embarrassing.

He chuckled but didn't say anything. He then turned of the highway onto the nearest exit. The small road lead us to a little town filled with motels and restaurants. He then pulled into a small almost shack looking restaurant. The sigh read in plain black letters with a yellow background, "Waffle House."

"You ever been to a Waffle House before?"

"No," I responded. There were defiantly no Waffle House's in Lenore.