INFINITY IN THE PALM OF HER HAND by Gioconda Belli

~ Excerpt from Chapter 18

Not much time passed. It was early morning. Eve got up to urinate, and as she did a flow of water spilled down her legs. She was disturbed. Had she been mistaken and was it after all a sea inside her? She was afraid she might find herself surrounded by fish, but in the shadows that radiated from the light of the fire she did not see a fish, not any marine creature.

She went back to lie by Adam. She did not wake him until a little later.

"It hurts, Adam. The way it did when I bled."

He was quickly awake. The luminous breath of dawn was visible at the cave entrance. Eve paced back and forth, holding her lower abdomen with both hands.

"What do we do now?" Adam asked.

"I am the cave. They will come from there. You have to be on the other side so they won't drop on the stones of the floor and be hurt."

"Do you think they will like living outside the Garden?"

"I suppose that since they don't know the Garden, they will never miss it," she said, without interrupting her pacing.

"Don't you think they will remember everything we remember? They are our reflection."

"We don't remember Elokim's memories."

"No."

"Only that his memory may have been the voice we've heard. Sometimes I think that the impetus we have to do things with our hands comes from him."

Eve suddenly panted. She stopped. She bent over.

"Adam, they're biting me!"

Just then, pain filled her completely. Adam helped her down to the stone where they slept, but Eve did not want to be lying down. She slipped to where she could prop her back against some rocks. The pain had lessened.

"I thought they were eating me." Eve smiled, bathed in sweat.

But she thought the same thing a while later, and then again. The pain came and went. "It's a bit like the sea," she told Adam. "It moves in waves. Every wave pulls something from me; maybe the son and the daughter are connected to my flesh, and Elokim is using a sharpened stone to get them out."

http://www.giocondabelli.org/