In Sickness and in Health

I sigh as I open the refrigerator door. Groaning as my body trembled, I got my medicine out with a cough.

My phone suddenly rings. I had left it on the coffee table in the living room, and so I slowly start walking to get there. I got a call from Nick, the one person qho could make me feel better at this moment. I smile.

"Hey, love," he says before I was able to say anything. With a worried tone, he asks, "Why haven't you been answering my calls last night? Is something wrong?"

"I don't know," I reply. "I'm sick, I guess."

"Aw, do you want me to come over?"

"No, it's fine."

He ends the call, which surprises me a bit because he wouldn't just end a call with me like that. I sigh again. Great. First this cough. Now my boyfriend hates me, too.

I lay down on the couch for a while, and I can hear my stomach grumble, but I feel like one small step towards the fridge is a huge effort. Twenty minuyes must have passed until I decided I wanted to sleep. Just as I was about to close my eyes, someone knocks on my door.

"Who is it?" I yell. My voice sounds hoarse.

"The love of your life," the person whose voice is muffled replies, and I can already tell it's Nick.

"Come in, it's not locked."

The door opens, and Nick comes inside. I could not help the smile on my face as my eyes scan what he brought: food, movies, a bouquet of flowers, but mostly just food.

He smiles at me. "Hey," he says as he sat down on the couch.

"Hey," I say, closing my eyes, but not before smiling at him, too. I really feel sleepy right now.

"Where are your parents?" he asks.

"They went to the mall."

"Okay, then. Get some rest."

I open my eyes, and I see Nick staring at me. I think I see him blush.

"Uh," he says. "Do you want anything?"

I shake my head. "I just want to go upstairs to my room."

I stand up, but my feet hurts. I sigh and sit back down. "Ugh."

Nick stands up and puts his right hand under my knees, and the other on my back. He places my hand around his shoulder.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

"I'm gonna carry you," he says. "So you don't have to walk."

"You really don't have to do that," I say.

"No, I don't want you to get hurt, babe. Just close your eyes and sleep."

I did as he told and I can feel him walking upstairs to my room, opening the door, and laying me down on my bed. Nick stays there for a while and sings comforting song to me, and a few minutes later, I fall asleep.

I don't know how long I'd slept, but when I woke up and looked outside the window, it was almost dark.

"Nick!" I yelled.

I heard shuffling downstairs. Nick was still here, and he didn't leave me. I smile again. My bedroom door opened and Nick came in. He's panting.

"Everything okay?" he asks.

"Yeah," I say. "And why do you look tired?"

"I just thought you needed something real quick."

He comes closer and sits next to me, our backs resting on the headboard. I rest my head on his shoulder, my hair brushing past the crook of his neck.

He brushes my hair with his fingers, and I look up at him.

I smile up at him. "How did I ever get so lucky?"

He smiles and kisses my forehead. "No. How did I ever get so lucky?" he says, emphasizing the I.

He leans closer, and closer, until our lips are a few inches apart.

"Nick, no. You'll get sick, too," I say.

"I don't care, as long as I'm still with you. I love you, baby, and I will do anything for you," he says.

I chuckle, though it sounds weak because of my fever.

He looks at me and touches my cheeks with his thumbs. He leans closer and kisses my lips. Even until now that we have been together for a year, I still get butterflies in my stomach every time he does sweet gestures like these to me.

He pulls away and looks at me deeply in the eyes. Those eyes. The type that you just want to melt in them, stare at them and never get tired.

"I love you so, so much," he says.

"I love you more," I reply, and we kiss once again.