Prologue

Red Dye

Prologue

Mae Jacobs-

Two years earlier

The girls and I were giggling like three high men on weed, and loads of it. Grace had just joked about how my mom and dad were making me rough it out for a week since I don't respect their rules. We decided I could stay with Sophie until my sperm and egg donors let me back in the house. The whole situation was frustrating, so it was better to joke about it. We continued down the road with giggles until Grace stopped and smiled like the devil,

"Girls, I know what we should do tonight."

Sophie and I shifted our attention to where she was eyeing like a piece of candy. Our eyes popped out of their sockets, but were replaced with happy eager eyes. Hell yeah, a damn street fight, count me in. We raced each other to the crowd and nestled somewhere in the middle. It was my first time being to one of these. Seeing a street fight in person was actually number three on my bucket list. The way they had it set up reminded me of one of those movies.

I removed the charm bracelet from my wrist and admired it while the everyday average Joe's were still getting ready to fight. It wasn't until I felt the bracelet leave my hands that I shifted my attention to Sophie.

I had grown very irritated by the second. Grace and Sophie had taken the very expensive charm bracelet my dad had just gotten me for my sixteenth birthday. I extended my hands out to grasp onto the silver piece of jewelry, but failed every single time. They tossed it back and forth between each other as if playing monkey in the middle. My irritation was becoming less patient and I knew any second I'd lash out and strangle one of them.

"Give it back." I demanded from both girls. They only gave me teasing smirks before continuing their little game. I sighed dramatically and inched my hands for my precious jewelry once more.

"I swear, if you guys drop it in this crowd I'll ring both your necks." I threatened between gritted teeth. They eyed each other, hesitating if they should continue or not. Grace's impulsively shouted, "Think fast," and sent my jewelry flying to the empty space where the fighters were going to battle.

My eyes darkened and found themselves lying on Grace who had her hand covering her mouth and her eyes wide. I glared viciously at her before grunting. I swear sometimes the girl has no brains. I reluctantly found myself pushing through the crowd of bodies and into the center of attention filled with eye melting men dripping with sex appeal. I wasn't surprised when I stepped into the empty space that'd I'd grab unwanted attention.

I avoided all the stares that were being given and locked my eyes on the shiny silver. An ah ha moment slipped and I scurried to gather my belongings. When I bent down to pick up my bracelet I had heard Grace and Sophie faintly shouting my name repeatedly, but knowing them it was for something stupid.

My eyes were so invested in getting what belonged to me that I was completely unaware of what was happening around me. I finally snapped to reality when I heard a car door slamming. I snapped my head in the directions to the beholder to find a very infuriated, hot tempered, beautiful man hastily making his way towards me. His eyes lit with fire even though they were an ice blue and his raven black hair looked damp; absolute sex symbol. I couldn't help but overcome with confusion while he continued forward. What had I done?

"You!" He spat with so much venom I winced in the tone of his voice. The closer he got the more nervous I was until he slowed down. I suddenly relaxed when he stopped walking and remained feet away from me. His cold blue eyes eyed me with rage as I felt my lips curving into a smirk. I couldn't pin point where this act had come from, I was never like this. My arms found themselves over my chest while my eyebrows rose. Clearly he didn't understand that I was only getting what belonged to me and had already been in a crappy mood, I wasn't going to let his stupid attitude make it worse for me.