Chapter Three

Maya's back in class today. She feels awkward but Riley is next to her and Riley doesn't hate her and that's a little bit better for her. Mr Matthews is teaching and he knows neither of his girls are really paying attention and neither are most of the class. Riley and Maya had explained to Cory and Topanga that night when they found them teary-eyed and hugging. Drama and gossip get around fast and everyone is quiet to avoid the tension. Lucas is still behind Maya and Farkle is behind Riley and they know eyes are on them. This is not how Maya expected her final year of middle school to be. She struggles not to turn around, she doesn't feel the excitement of making fun of Lucas any more, or not right now. She made this friendship awkward. She's been working in her book, not notes, just sketches. Occasionally she looks across at Riley, who is already looking at her, Riley smiles and she sends a small smile back. She knows she can't avoid talking forever, but hopefully the bell would ring and class would end first.

***

When class ends everyone starts picking up their bags, books and folders. Riley walks over and stands by Maya's desk.

"Hey," she says softly. Maya had picked her up at seven that morning, had breakfast, just like every morning. Auggie had told them about his day yesterday, he was growing taller and he'd been married to Ava Morgenstern for 52 years.

"Hey," she replies and links the arm Riley offers. Cory smiles, his girls wouldn't let a boy ruin their friendship. After a moment both Farkle and Lucas are stood with them and they walk outside.

"Hey," Farkle.

"Hey," Maya.

"Maya," Lucas.

"Lucas," Maya.

"Riley!" Riley. She turns to Maya, "Art room?"

"Art room right now." Maya nods. They walk, the boys follow.

***

Maya is sat on her desk, her art folder next to her. Lucas is wandering around while Riley and Farkle are whispering at the door. There's a lot of nodding. She's paying too much attention to realise Lucas sitting next to her, "Wonder what they're talking about?"

"Yeah." She continues to watch them, he nods awkwardly.

***

"I think they should talk." Riley whispers to him at the door, she grabs his jacket and pulls him back.

"Yeah, they probably should." He agrees.

"You knew Maya liked him. For all we know he could like about her too. Maya needs to be happy too." She whispers.

"What about you?" He says back, trying to keep his voice steady. Riley's face is right next to his and she's whispering in his ear, "You went out and he said he really liked you. You deserved to know. I want you all to be happy." And he's angry and confused because he has Smackle and these feelings shouldn't be here.

"Hey!" Lucas calls over and thankfully gives them a reason to separate, "Do we get to hear your secret plans?"

"Yeah. You and Maya are going to talk. And you're both going to listen." Riley answers.

"Talk about what?" Maya quickly asks.

"We go. You talk." Riley grabs Farkle's hand and they close the door.

***

"What do they want us to talk about?" Lucas ask looking at the side of Maya's head. She's still refusing to look at him. He wishes that they could just joke around like normal.

"They want... They want me to admit that I like you and there's nothing to talk about." She sighs.

"So, you do like me?" He pushes himself of the table to stand in front of her.

She finally looks up at him. "Of course I like you. Who wouldn't? You're a... Good guy." She bites her lip.

"But you didn't trust me enough to tell me?" He asks.

"It wasn't that..." She sighs again. "You want to be with Riley and Riley wants to be with you and I'm in the way. I'm fine as long as I have my friends and Riley doesn't hate me. I'm completely fine with that. My feelings don't matter in this situation."

He looks at her doubtfully. "What about my feelings?"

"You like Riley. Yes?"

"Yes. No. I don't know." He pushes his hand through his hair, "I know I did but now... I don't know. Don't get me wrong, I mean, she's great and one of my best friends but... I'm confused, Maya."

A slightly shocked look almost crept upon Maya's face. She knew feelings changed. "And what about me?"

Lucas opened his mouth but he couldn't get any words out. Was this a bad dream? "I..." Maybe he did think about Maya sometimes and sometimes he didn't notice himself doing it. He knew she was pretty. He'd told Zay she was a 'blonde beauty'. She always made him laugh. He always wanted to protect her. She was actually smart and level headed and-

"Lucas?" Maya's fingers are clicking in front of his face. "Would you quit staring, it's freaky."

"Oh, sorry."

"You're still doing it."

"I'm just confused. I don't... I think I might- could have feelings for... You but. We never really considered."

"You don't like me." Maya states deadpan.

"I think that is the opposite of what I was saying, I think."

"You don't like me, because it makes it even more complicated between me and you and Riley."

"I don't want to ruin our friendships," he rubs his and across his face, "But we never know what'll happen until we give us a chance."