Prologue

Silent. I had to be silent.

All that kept going through my mind was how one twitch of my foot, one jerk of my arm, one branch tearing at my shirt, one audible breath, one whispered plea to God to give me one more chance, would all result in one thing. My death.

I could already see the dull orange flame far away in the tall trees, slowly growing more incandescent as it crept towards me. Their foot steps echoed garishly in the rough dirt and the decayed broken leaves. As they whispered, their voices were filled with malevolence, but almost incoherent, lost amidst the chill of the autumn wind.

A small yelp almost escaped my trembling lips as I heard the laconic but startling sound of a deer's hooves bounding behind me. I hesitantly turned my head to see where she was traveling, but my eyes only caught a mere glimpse of what was her hind legs. How lucky she was to be free.

My thoughts collapsed as a sudden blast of wind darted in my direction, curling its algid fingers around my bare arms. My whole body lurched in surprise at its sudden temperature change, and my stomach tightened with anxiety as my right foot clumsily slipped behind me.

That's when I heard something snap beneath my foot.