Chapter 24

After a rough loss to the Buffalo Sabres, Hadley stood up from her seat next to Stephanie. “That was rough.” She sighed and slid her hands into her back pockets.

“Poor birthday boy.” Tatiana said as she squeezed Hadley’s shoulder. “Are you going to go down to the locker room?”

“Yeah,” she gave Tatiana a small smile and pushed her hair behind her shoulders. “I’ll see you guys tonight.” Hadley said her goodbyes and walked out of the box, slowly making her way down toward the locker room.

“Hey Hads,” Brad greeted her as she walked down the quiet hallway.

“Hey,” she gave him a small smile. “Good game.”

“Thanks,” Brad slipped his jacket on. “But we both know it wasn’t.”

Hadley shrugged her shoulders. “How is he?”

“You mean is he too upset to go out tonight?” Brad asked and chuckled. “He’s just fine.”

She laughed. “Thanks Brad,”

“Tyler should be out in a few minutes. He was just putting his tie on when I left.” Brad hugged Hadley and left her outside the locker room to wait for Tyler.

Hadley leaned back into the cold stone wall as the door opened just moments later. “Hey,” a small smile spread across her lips when Tyler emerged from the locker room.

He walked up to her and pulled her body into his. His hands tightly gripped her hips. “Hey,” he leaned down and pecked her lips. His grip on her hips loosened when she intertwined their fingers.

“You okay?” Her soft blue eyes sparkled with concern.

“Yeah,” he dipped his head down to kiss her again. “Let’s go home.”

Hadley sighed. She knew he really wanted that win but she decided to let him sulk. Just for a little bit anyways. Although the drive back to the apartment was silent, Hadley was excited to give Tyler his birthday present.

“Did you still want to go out?” Hadley asked, wrapping her arms around his torso as they walked into the apartment.

Tyler smiled. “That was the plan,” he gave her a suspecting look. “Unless you have something better planned.” His hands went from her hips and slipped under his jersey she was wearing.

Hadley bit her lip and giggled, slipping out of his grasp and running toward the bedroom. Tyler easily kept up with her. He had his right arm hooked around her waist by the time she crossed the threshold of the bedroom. A gasp escaped her lips as he easily picked her up and tossed her onto the bed. Hadley’s hair was fanned out across the comforter. Tyler’s hands were pressed into the mattress on either side of her head. “You don’t look too upset anymore.”

“I wonder why.” He smirked looking down at the brunette who was currently sporting his game-worn jersey.

“I’m flattered,” she giggled. “But I’m not your gift.” Tyler looked curious. “Nightstand – open it.”

Tyler stood up and sat on the edge of the mattress, opening the nightstand. Surely enough there was a white envelope with his name neatly printed on it. “What’s this?”

“You have to open it.” She watched him furrow his eyebrows. Hadley giggled when he saw that it was a letter, which he indeed, had to read.

“Thank you?”

She rolled her eyes. “You have to read it, Tyler.”

Tyler grumbled as he started to scan the long letter. “Wait,” after reading the first paragraph a huge smile spread across his face. “It says that –”

“I will be back towards the middle of February to finish off my junior year.” Hadley slid into his lap as he placed the letter on the nightstand. Tyler held her by her hips. “Happy birthday, babe.”

He smirked and fell back onto the mattress with Hadley on top of him. “Let’s celebrate.”

“You just can’t get enough of me.” She returned his smirk.

“Of you?” Tyler’s hand cupped her cheek, pulling her face closer to his. “I can never get enough of you.”