The Kegger

(Author's Note: SO sorry for the delay! Writer's block is a beast! Enjoy.)

Emily never really looked back on that day. Sure, she thought about it from time to time, but never enough to make herself upset. She felt very little about the whole thing, and that, in itself, made her extremely worried for her own mental health. When those thoughts would expose themselves in her mind, she would reassure herself by telling herself that it was just because she never really liked Sandy Vance, not even a little bit. She shouldn't have beat herself up about it. After all, it was just an accident, right? She was just aiming to hurt her, and not even that much.

Two years later, when Emily Thomas was fifteen years old, much had changed about her. She was still what you would call an outcast at school, but in a different way than before. Two years earlier, she was insanely shy and quiet. But now, she was what some might refer to as a burnout. She was failing her classes, and was known as the angriest person at Heart City High School. For two years she had been living with her anger issues and depression, and for two years she had been taking it out on people who pushed her over the edge. She was more careful with people than she was with Sandy, though. She would pay more attention to what she was doing. She would normally stop when she broke the person's nose, or if they were gushing blood. She had been suspended multiple times, it took her father sweet-talking the principal to keep her from getting expelled.

After the day Emily had killed Sandy, she apologized to her Dad. He believed Emily was sorry, and he accepted her apology. However, he did notice an extreme change in her personality since that day. That frightened him, but in the end he decided to let his teenager be a teenager. He would be there for her if she needed a shoulder to lean on after a rough day, but he wouldn't get too involved in her life. His hair was almost all grey now, but he did remember a time when he was his daughter's age, and how much he wanted his parents to leave him alone.

Emily preferred to sit in the back of the classroom, doodling in her notebook. She would always wear her black boots, her blue jeans, and a grey zip-up hoodie. She kept her jet-black hair stringy and long, and kept up with her tradition of never wearing makeup. She had a pointy nose, light pink lips, grey eyes and her skin was paler than ever. She rarely ever had breakouts of acne anymore, she was proud of how smooth and clean her skin was. Her face was thin, and so was the rest of her body. She was the tallest person in her grade. She towered over all of her teachers. This made it hard for her not to burst out laughing when they lectured her, and she had to look straight down to accomplish eye contact.

Emily was different than she used to be, there was no denying that, but some of her old habits were still there. She still told the same, horrible jokes. She was still somewhat of a bookworm. She still sympathized with other people, even if it wasn't by a lot. If she saw some huge bully picking on a helpless geek in the hallway, there was pretty much a guarantee that that bully would need to be paying off some hospital bills soon.

Emily still could feel no pain, which made it easy to take people out with one hitter quitters without much defense coming from the other end. Her inability to feel pain made it easy to sock people with as much force as possible without feeling the intense pain of an extremely damaged fist. Her hands were so messed up from all the fights she had that every finger on both of her hands could easily pop out of her sockets. This, along with the eyeball trick, was enough to make her father turn green and sprint to the nearest bathroom.

Regardless of what her grades might have told you, Emily was smarter than the average fifteen-year-old. She was good at planning things out, thinking ahead, and breaking problems down step by step to easily find a solution. If she wanted something, she would plan out sometimes weeks ahead of time the perfect way to ask her father so there was no denying that he would say yes.