Chapter 1: Phil

The slight breeze rustled my dark hair, making it messier than it already was. My back was against the rough bark of the oak tree. I was staring straight ahead, but I was focused on the book resting on my lap. It was an interesting book, I thought. It would have been easier if I could actually read the words. My fingers brushed against the rough paper, desperately trying to understand the braille writing. This was my second attempt of the day. "Philip, it's time to go home now." I turned to the source of the voice. My nana, Caroline, was waiting for me a few meters away. I knew she had been watching me from afar, giving me the space I kindly asked for. I didn't even bother correcting her for calling me Philip rather than Phil like I always prefer. "Do you need help getting up, dear?"

"I'm fine, Nana," I tried to say without being rude. "I'm blind, not useless." Today was my last day at this place, the school for people with disabilities. They had thought me the basics for college before I study for my actual degree. I don't have many fond memories here.

"Honey, that is not what I meant." I brushed her comment aside and packaged the book into my bag before getting up. I cautiously walked to her side, confident I could start walking around without help. "Are you excited to go back to college?" I sighed. I had tried to avoid this conversation for the longest. I knew Nana only wanted the best for me, but sometimes she made things be overdramatic.

"No, I'm not." I bit my lip anxiously. "You know excited isn't the right term to use in that sentence."

"Eager?" The walk back home was going to be longer than usual. Nana glanced at me sadly. I could feel her looking at me. She wasn't my real grandmother, but she raised me mostly on her own since my parents were always on business trips. Three years ago she would have been looking into my eyes that had captured the colors of the sea, as she used to describe them. Now she saw the milky white orbs that of the storm I held inside my mind.

"Nana, you're looking at me strangely again." She turned away and walked aside me. I couldn't see us, but I could imagine us walking side by side. At least how I remember her appearance.

"Am I really now?" I smiled, something I still find strange to do. "Careful with the cracked pavement, boy."

"I walk here every day. I know where all the cracks and bumps are. And stop calling me boy, I am twenty-two years old."

"You'll always be my little boy, Philip." I could only smile in return. I love my nana with all my heart.

"When will Striker be better?" Striker was my guide dog, who has been ill all week, causing Nana to be more cautious over me. "Have the vets told you anything yet?"

"He should be home by the end of the day. He might even be home right now."

"Then why are we walking so slowly? We have to go back immediately!" I walked eagerly, a small pounce on my feet. I love my dog so much, I've had him for two years now. I tripped and felt myself falling. I felt strong arms steady me, but they didn't feel like Nana's.

"Sorry about that, I didn't mean to get in your way." His voice was different. I've never heard such a dark voice before.

"No worries," I stated and brushed off the guy's arms. "Thank you for helping me." The colors swirled around my eyes. Earlier I saw red and yellow, but now I see brown and black. Strange combination. I got distracted by the swirls of colors in my vision to realize that people were talking to me.

"Phil, what happened?" Nana's concerned voice asked. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine, just tripped. I'm fine, really." I wish she would stop worrying so much.

"Let's get you home." She grabbed my arm and steered me towards the right direction. "I told you to start using your cane again even if you have Striker."