Chapter 2

17:03pm

On their arrival to the airport, they were greeted by men dressed in dark pinstriped suits and closely cut hair. They took the luggage at once and a man with a name badge that said 'Pascal' directed them outside towards the plane. They didn't check their passports or ask for boarding passes. Instead, Pascal handed them all plain blue neck straps with an occasional white writing reading 'UKNS' with identification passes with their photos, name, date of birth and a serial number. Clara guessed UKNS stood for 'UK National Security'

They were hurried outside in the direction of a small white private plane with the logo once again, this time in bold blue writing. They could see a man watching them in a passenger window, he watched them until they were up the plane steps and out of sight.

Once inside the plane they saw one air hostess with a long blue pencil skirt and a light long-sleeved blue shirt with navy shoulder pads. She wore flat polished black boots, similar to those you would see be worn by an army official. She had a warming smile and kind eyes and her hands were tied behind her back for presentation.

They continued to walk onto the plane and She gestured a hand towards the isle, where they saw the old man sat on a seat on the left by the window towards the middle of the plane. The seats were immaculate and a beige leather, they were all swivelled so they were facing towards each other, some were facing the aisle.

The elderly man stood up so they could see him. He held out a hand and pointed towards the seats next to him. Clara heard her dad behind her chuckle and wave as though they knew each other from before. Clara, and her father and mother began to advance towards the man. Clara wished they didn't.

The old man was cold. His smile at Howard was large and showcased all his fine lines and wrinkles, but it didn't reach his eyes. It wasn't a true smile, he was hiding something. He stood up and shook each of their hands with a small nod of his head. Exhaling deeply, he pulled up his suit trousers slightly and sat back down on his seat. Clara and her parents searched around for seats nearby.

"Well" the man began "I better introduce myself- Howard you already know me of course"

He faked a smile.

"My name is Derek Smith, my job is to look after your father and... Make sure he's safe"

Ilene appeared confused, she leaned forward in interest. "I apologise Mr Smith, however Howard hasn't told me this" She flashed a look at Howard; although upon recieval he quickly contemplated his large hand.

"Ah I see Mrs Broughton. You see, the work we do is so classified, it simply wouldn't be safe enough for Howard if people knew I was his secretary"

"Oh" Ilene said with an embarrassed flush.?

And with that the seatbelt signs illuminated in the cabin and the engine rumbled.

5:14am (UK time) 6:14am (local)

"Thank you for travelling with us today on this flight Broughton family. The cabin crew sincerely wish you a safe and happy onward journey"

Clara rubbed her eyes with the palm of her hand and sat up from her slumped position on the seat. Gingerly slipping her headphones of off her head, she winced as she pulled one of her hairs.

"Alright darling?" Ilene called over, stretching from her sleep.

"Alright as I'll ever be"

"It doesn't get any easier from now kiddo" said a voice from behind her.

Clara whipped around and was greeted by a pair of dry grey eyes encrusted with crows feet. A faint yellow smile broke out. It was Derek; Clara hadn't seen him in sunlight before.

Howard paced over, his weight rumbling the blue carpeted plane floor. "Alright 'mi angels?" He boomed, gently slapping his hands on Clara and Ilene's shoulders.

"Hmm" Clara replied, nursing her arm.

Derek smiled, squinting his eyes. "Please", he began, "Allow me to drive you three to your accommodation here." There was a hint of urgency in his tone.

Ilene looked over at Howard, who gave her a promising look. "That would be lovely" she replied.