Dancing in the Rain

He wraps me in his arms and leans close, his breath hot on my skin, kissing me softly on the forehead, just like he had a million times this summer, and whispering,"I love you, Lia Overbrooke, to the ends of the earth, for all of time.  I will never forget out story together, and I am so sad it had to come to an end, but we both grew and became different people..." He whispers, trailing off.  "Maybe our paths will cross again some day, but until then, Goodbye."  His arms unwrap from around me and I am left cold and alone as the sound of his footsteps get softer and softer, until he is gone.

*******

One Year Later...

"My name is Lia Overbrooke and I am..." I draw in a deep breath, shaking, trying to utter the words that glue my lips together.  I put my hands in my lap to hide the tremors that are rocking me slowly back and forth.  Tears fall silently down my face.  Tears of sadness and despair.  Tears of longing and rememberance.  I am sitting in front of the mirror, alone in my small apartment.  My dark hair is messy as if I just got out of bed.  My clothes don't fit right anymore.  I'd like to think that if he saw me, he would think of our time together that summer, but now he probably wouldn't even recognize me.  My green eyes are empty and there are dark circles under them from lack of sleep.