Chapter 3

Dinner was in Dillon's flat: the living room area to be precise. Decorated in hues of dark brown and cream the entire flat was the epitome of a bachelor's pad. He had plush leather seats in the living room area and a coffee-brown coffee table.

A glass dining table that could easily seat six was in the dining area, with the kitchen adjoining the room designed in only the most modern of materials: making it a haven for the modern day chef. The flat had three bedrooms, and two baths: with the master room being occupied by Dillon and another room by his flatmate, Izzie.

The meal comprised of Dillon's specialty: Chinese takeaway courtesy of Mr. Chun from across the street.

Not that I was complaining.

Dillon's culinary skill only extended to making coffee, and even then the machine took care of it rather than have you do it manually. In short, one look at Dillon's failed attempt at making toast was enough for me to swear off any form of his cooking for an indefinite amount of time.

His only saving grace had come in the form of Izzie Page: a short, petite and boisterous girl, with a knack for fashion and numbers.

He had been conducting interviews for a new manager- after realizing his lack of expertise with the female species- when she had come skipping into the store all cheery and full of energy. With porcelain skin, bright orange-red hair that came just below her chin, and bright green eyes; she was the perfect description of a human-doll.

Her personality was both unnerving and inviting at the same time: an enigma that seemed to mellow and attract the people around her. One look at how she had conversed so easily to the patrons within the boutique had been enough for Dillon to offer her the job on the spot, ready to double the pay if she declined the offer.

Fortunately for him, she had sauntered into the store in search of employment, having seen the 'For hire' advert outside.

In a mere week she had been able to double sales of the boutique significantly, while increasing the client list further. Having moved into the extra room in Dillon's flat, she had taken up the cooking, further saving Dillon a life of obesity from his excessive consumption of take-out. Though he rarely admitted it, you could see it clear as day that she was indeed his saving grace in more ways than one.

On this night however, she had forgone dinner at Dillon's flat for some alone time with her boyfriend, Albert Aker: a tall lanky boy with a milky-white complexion, and a shock of ginger hair that accentuated the slight freckling on the bridge of his nose. His trademark accessory came in the form of chunky glasses that hid his hazel eyes, and emphasised his shy and timid personality: a stark contrast to his ever hyped girlfriend.

Nevertheless, the odd pair seemed to fit, almost as though meant for each other- if one tended to believe in fairy tales and happily-ever-afters.

I had decided to stick around for dinner as an act of gratitude for actually waking me up this time around. Now as I sat beside him, devouring the Chinese delicacy, I couldn't help but wonder as to whether the threat of bodily harm was the key to making him comply with my wishes.

"How long was it this time?" He asked breaking the silence that had settled during the meal.

I knew what he meant. This was not the first time I had gone for long sleep deprived missions only to come back exhausted to the bone, only to crush at his place without unwanted people showing up at my doorstep. I cringed slightly when I recalled the fifteen missed calls and ten messages that had awaited me when I had woken up.

Not a meeting I was looking forward to.

"Three days."

He nodded, silently taking a bit of his food seeming to digest the information.