Portal

"Tell me Cathryn. Why did we decide to do this?" I said, standing in front of the portal. Not truly believing what I was seeing. 

Cathryn smiled, which brought life into her green eyes behind the small glasses she wore, "Look at it a different way. Why not decide to do this? Think of the possibilities."

"Well one possibility could be an alien invasion." I said flatly. The  oval portal continued to hum quietly, making the sound of what I recall, beating wings of a dragon fly.

Cathryn corrected her reading glasses, "Sir, if there was an alien invasion I'm sure it would've happened by now. It's been open for thirteen hours." 

I had my doubts. I decided to take a few closer steps to the portal, just to ease my intimidation, "Yeah, well maybe they're trying to decide what to do." I couldn't see whatever was on the other side as the opening was covered in some kind of blurry, white material, "Have you sent anything through?"

"Yes sir, we've sent drones and established compositions exactly matching those of Earth. From our readings it's completely safe, whatever is on the other side. Though our video and audio devices failed to record anything."

"Drones?" I said.

"Yes sir, logically we programmed them to travel forwards two metres, gather compositions and reverse. They came back completely normal, unscathed. Actually with the information gathered I believe this could be another Earth, parallel to our own."

"Jesus Cathryn, listen to yourself. Another Earth? Parallel to ours?"

"Remember you're standing in front of a portal sir." Said Cathryn, whom was casually ticking boxes and making notes on her clip board.  

Touché, she did have a point. I just couldn't believe this was real. When Cathryn came to me asking if they could build a machine to teleport large packets of information instantly to anywhere in the world I thought, cool, sure, no problem. Something like that could help my companies integrate easier, but this? All the underground scientists working on it were telling me for months what they were achieving, but I was like yeah yeah, good work, keep it up. Little did I know they were actually making their imagination a reality. 

I placed my hands on my hips, slightly tilting my head in curious wonder at the portal, "Well, where to from here?" I asked.

"We are finalising preparations to send a human. Who yet is unconfirmed. A lot of the scientists here are too afraid and we don't want military to go in. If the government finds out about this..." 

"Yeah yeah." I said, waving off the thought of government involvement. I paused for a moment, using my genius intellect to decide on the next course of action. I lived for moments like these. Critical decision making is key to making the big choices. Its why I'm the worlds youngest billionaire. 

 My next three words would forever change the Human race.

"I'll do it."