Fountain of Youth

I grabbed Cathryn by the arm and headed for the skyscraper with my name on it.

"Jeez James don't think you've ever been this rough. Why did you come back from holidays so soon? You look old. Oh my God you have crazy hair growth on your face. Like ew."

I stopped just outside the revolving doors to my building as security guards in full armour began running out to control the crowds. I turned to Cathryn and held both her shoulders tightly, "Am I supposed to be on holidays right now?"

Cathryn flicked her long bleached hair, "Well duh." She replied.  

In a small way I was relieved because my parallel self was out of town which meant there wouldn't be any clash. I didn't even want to think about a situation where I would meet myself. Suddenly a Large man in a black suite approached me, "Mr. Scott what are you doing out here alone? Come inside immediately. Let my men control the crowds and bring your wife." Cathryn held my hand and she lead me inside with a big smile on her face. If only I could've seen my face at that moment. 

My office was spacious, futuristically white and so bright that it strained my eyes. On the wall behind my desk was a close up of my face on the front cover of Time Magazine with the title 'Worlds first Trillionaire' then in smaller print under it, it said 'Why James Scott made Fountain of Youth free'.

I couldn't believe it. I created the fountain of youth. Somewhere in a parallel universe I created the fountain of youth and became a trillionaire.

I looked at Cathryn feeling slightly overwhelmed, "Is cancer still existent?"

Cathryn laughed, "Course not silly. That was one of the first things you fixed remember?"

"Oh, that's right, yeah silly me." I didn't know what else to say. Was I some kind of super genius, or did things just happen differently? 

Cathryn went to my desk and took a small pill from a perfectly squared stainless steel box. "James. When was the last time you had a jellybean?"

I figured the jellybean was the stuff people used to look young, "Not sure, can't remember honestly." I replied cautiously.

Cathryn smiled though remained silent. She handed me the little pill which totally resembled a green jelly bean and I held it in my sweaty palm for a few moments, thinking if I should take it or not. 

"I'll take it later. After I have a nap." I said. 

"Okay, well don't nap too long. Remember every second can be saved." She replied. 

Cathryn who leant in to kiss me on the lips which I returned as naturally as possible. Cathryn walked in sexy fashion out of my office, calling over her shoulder,  "Call me when your done your nap."

"Will do." I shouted back. Hoping she would keep walking far away. Just when I thought I was in the clear to leave she stopped just before the glass elevator to answer her phone. She turned quickly on her two heels and looked at me with a puzzled expression. After some moments my stomach dropped.

"Imposter! Imposter!" Screamed Cathryn as she began running towards me in high heels, "Intruder! Get him!"

Panic set in and I dropped the green jelly bean, cursing to myself whilst sprinting for the exit stairwell. How could I have been so stupid I thought. Running out of the exit door onto the ground level I quickly headed for the revolving doors and made a B line for the abandoned underground facility. 

All I wanted to do was get out of this crazy universe and be back in my own comfort zone. Once I made it to the underground facility I was relieved to see the portal was still open. Suddenly I heard loud thumps and crunches which increased with intensity by the second. They were coming for me and I needed to get our of there. Dashing back through the portal, this time not sprinting, I was back in familiar space with everyone from the facility including Cathryn, who looked like her normal self eyeing me with a smile of relief. 

"Close the portal! They're coming!" I yelled.

Cathryn quickly changed her expression and flicked the emergency switch to power down the portal.

I breathed heavily for a moment and slumped down to catch my breath. Cathryn walked to me and knelt down, focusing her attention on a small, square, stainless steel box I held in my shaking hand.

"What's that?" asked Cathryn.

I replied with a very big smile, "The Fountain of Youth."