Ariel's Awakening

"So, here's the deal, tentacles," Ariel addressed Ursula with casual abandon, "I need you to do a favour for me."

She was in Ursula's lair for the first time since the contract had been signed to give away her voice, and her tail had since transformed into a venemous green. She assumed it was due to the sudden...disruption of the contract, but she wasn't certain, and quite frankly, hadn't dwelled on it. Ariel tossed her hair over her shoulder, jostling her skull necklace and revealing the snake tattoo on her neck.

"H-how did you get down here?! And that voice, how did you get it back-" Ursula was shocked for the first time in her life, and stammered.

"Oh, don't you worry about that," Ariel giggled menacingly, "I just got my Flounders to do it for me. Didn't I?"

Flounders grinned, revealing a new set of sharpened teeth. He had grown in size and his fins were sharpened into points. His scales had also undertaken a change; they were now deep purple and black. Ariel dug into a small black seashell purse, then withdrew and threw the remnants of the contract like confetti over Ursula's lair. She shook with anger.

"Now, let's talk business."

"And why would I do any business for free?" Ursula questioned, raising one dark eyebrow.

Her voice was barely under control; in truth, she was seething.

"Oh, I don't know, maybe because King Triton, my father, will come over and completely destroy you and all your possessions if you don't?" She smiled sweetly.

Ursula gulped, then attempted to redeem herself to Ariel.

"My dear, you may have become even more cunning and disasterous than I could have ever possibly hoped-"

"Zip it. I don't have time for your compliments," Ariel countered. "First, I need you to raise me an army of men from the depths of the sea, and then, I want you to rally these men, and send them to coup d'état my husband's palace."

"Why are you doing this, child? Are you not happy with your Prince? Is he not everything you ever wanted?"

"Would I be asking you for your assistance to take Eric's kingdom from him if I was?"

"Good point." Ursula commented drily.

"All right, then. I'll expect the men to arrive at the castle by dawn tomorrow. The gate will be open for them. Oh yeah, and Ursula?"

"What is it, child?"

"If you're late, I'll kill you."

She set to work immediately after Ariel left, collecting fish brains and seasnail eyeballs, and all manner of things repulsive. This was her chance to rise further than the sea. Her chance to reap more unfortunate souls and claim their nutrition! She licked her lips, and began chanting a spell, calling on Caspian of the Sea. Yes, it was true that Ariel would get a kingdom. But she, she would gain something far more precious...

---

Now on land, Ariel trekked up to the castle in which she and Eric lived. She wore a bomber jacket, black vest and leather leggings, and, kicking off her boots by the door, ordered a servant to clean them. She left him to it, and searched for Eric until finally, catching him in the great library, sauntered up to him and draped herself around him like a cobra. He was wearing his royal cape as always, and a vest sticky with sweat. Eric was sat at a table so she wasn't sure if he was even wearing any trousers. Sometimes, he neglected clothing at all.