Chapter 2

A huge shadow swept across the clearing. I squeezed Scott's hand, my palms sweating. Suddenly Scott yelled, "Duck!" Startled, I slammed my body into the ground. I was going to regret that later. Something huge leaped over us. Scott grabbed me in his arms and crouched over me. I closed my eyes and waited for this all to be over. Abruptly Scott was thrown off me and into a nearby tree. I screamed and ran to him. I checked for injuries. He was going to live but had been knocked out cold. I struggled to stay calm. I wanted to be with Scott. I sat down and hugged him. Then something grabbed my ankle and started pulling me away. I clawed at the ground, struggling to get away. I was already out of the clearing. I needed Scott. "Scott!" "Scott!" "Help me! Somebody please help me!" I finally turned to see what was dragging me; I stopped breathing for a second, "What the hell?"

Red eyes pierced the fading daylight. Saliva dripped from razor sharp fangs. Blood streamed down from my ankle onto claws. Out of nowhere Scott yelled and came running towards me. He stopped short, seeing what was taking me. He started pleading, "No! Please. Not her! Not her!" Then the beast dug its claws into my body and bit my side. A shriek bursted out of me. The beast ripped its claws out of me and ran off into the forest. Scott ran over and cradled me in his arms. He lifted my shirt and stopped dead. "No. No. No. This can't be happening. Why? Why?" He murmured to himself the whole while. I couldn't say a word, I was so shocked and confused about what had just happened. I wanted to see what had happened to me but Scott pulled down my shirt and hoisted me up off the ground. He started to run out of the woods with me in his arms. My arms flapped around like a rag doll's, I couldn't control my body I was so woozy. All I could see was faded and splotchy shapes. We finally reached the edge of the preserve but by then I had already passed out.