[ 06 ] Collaborations

Collaborations should be fun, but if you're writing with the wrong person, IT WILL BE A NIGHTMARE.

   How do you know if you're picking the right person to collaborate with / how do I pick a person to write this?

    # 1 HAVE MUTUAL RESPECT FOR ONE ANOTHER.

This sounds silly, but write with someone whose works you are in love with. If you feel like your writing skills are on their level, ask them for a go. 

   # 2 HAVE AN ESTABLISHED FRIENDSHIP! 

There's nothing more awkward than writing with someone whom you don't know. It's true that you can learn a lot about from a person whom you don't know through their writing, but I beg you to please have some sort of friendly relationship before you write with them.

This person will see your mistakes, and you never want to write with an asshole who'll be little your efforts or worse, make fun of you instead of HELPING you get better.

Writing with someone else should be a learning experience and if it's not, chances are you're not writing with the same person.

# 3 HAVE A RELIABLE PERSON!

Again, always write with someone you KNOW that you can trust because if you're creating a collab account, you and the other person have access to the same account. Make sure you're working with someone mature, because say you're working with someone you're not really close to and one day you two butt heads over not agreeing on something ... what if that person gets SO ticked off they delete everything?

In other words, make sure you're writing with someone like Dean Ambrose who'll nurture you when you're feeling  like Roman Reign's bad mic skills.

Don't write with a Seth Rollins who'll back stab you with a cheap chair shot.

(SEE WHAT I DID THERE?)
(06 02 14 - NEVER FORGET).

***

Speaking from experience, here are my most sacred rules to when you're collaboration with someone:

#1 - COMPROMISE IS KEY!

PLEASE KNOW THAT REGARDLESS OF HOW SIMILAR YOU AND YOUR WRITING BUDDY ARE, YOU WILL NOT ALWAYS SEE EYE TO EYE. 

Some weeks might be really good and peachy, but other's you might be struggling to come to terms about what to write of next or what not to include. 

Issues usually arise when you're writing down a plot for the story.

For example, I can send my collab partner 2k words on a plot, but she'll dislike it. Then she can do the same and I can dislike it.

The best thing to do is either take a breather (the both of you) and talk on another day when your mind is clear and you've thought of something better. Even then, pick out the things you least disliked about each other's previous plans and go from there.

That way things are a win- win instead of a win-lose, although sometimes that might happen and it's okay. 

#2 - KEEP IT TIGHT.

I mean it when I say it's so crucial to write with a friend you feel comfortable with because when they tell you something you normally wouldn't like to hear from a stranger, you (hopefully) won't take it that bad/ bad at all.

When I write with someone, I tend to want to take control and sometimes even tell her what to do for what chapters. Now, if my writing partner has a different vision, she has EVERY RIGHT TO SHUT ME UP and I'll be okay with it because that's her chapter and her chapter will flow with our story.

Sometimes your writing partner will tell you to piss off when you're being too controlling or nosy and that's okay because I hope you chose to write with a friend who you won't mind him/her telling you these things because in hindsight, they really do come from a place of love. 

# 3 - BE POLITE

Even though you're friends, when you give back feedback, DON'T BE A DICK!

When editing, let the person know why you did certain things/ what could maybe improve if you feel like the chapter is missing something. 

If you know you've crossed the line and upset your friend, TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR SHITTY ACTIONS AND APOLOGIZE CAUSE AIN'T NO ONE BUT YOU WHO'S GONNA DO IT.

Even if you think your friend can take it cause she's sarcastic asf, always be mindful of their feelings. You never really know what they're going through or if they had a bad/ good day.

I mean, you could if you talk about your days regularly, but can you imagine logging on one day and reading some rather rude notes of input before talking about how your day was. What if you had  a shitty day that morning and reading that only made you angry/ bitter.

BE MINDFUL ,FUCKERS!

#4  INSPIRATION/ MOTIVATION / NURTURE.

Write with someone who inspires you and adds to your ideas. Someone who is passionate about writing.

You need to make sure that whoever you're writing with is motivational. If you're stuck on a chapter, don't be scared to ask your bud for some help.

Nurture the fuck out of whoever you're writing with because collaborations are meant to be a learning experience!!!

Even if your partner edits out your chapters a lot, don't be discouraged. You are learning and they come from a place of love. They only edit certain things out because they want to show case you in the best light possible.

#5 SCHEDULES

When writing with someone, be aware that they may have a life and not be able to update ALL the time. Make a schedule and stick to it to have an update each week at the very least.

Don't just go into a collaboration for the heck of it. REALLY THINK IT OUT!

"experienced  writers" coming together doesn't always mean that things will be easy.

Having written with other people before, I can confirm that it's easy to lose focus.