Chapter 1

My name is Charlotte. Pretty simple. I never saw my mum. According to my dad she is dead, but he never told me how she died. I go to "The Queens School" but I can't be involved in any physical activities because I have a little problem with my legs. Well I guess you can call it little if you want. But I can't walk at all or use my feet. So I pretty much have to spent my life in a wheelchair. Pretty boring alright.

I have a older sister but she went to a camp school camp near a beach and never came back. She also couldn't walk. I was really surprised my dad wasn't scared at all. I was balling my eyes out. His comfort couldn't even comfort me. Sometimes my dad scares me... Not as in like ghost scary just scary because he doesn't care. I mean my sister could be dead for all I know. He says that "she has moved to a whole new world" he probably means heaven when he says that.

My dad never lets me go to the beach. I have never ever stepped on sand that is right next to the salt water. I don't know why he won't let me. Maybe it's because of my sister. No it wouldn't be because of that because he never let me go to the beach even when my sister was with me. Yeah, overprotective much.

Anyway so back to my story. I was at school and we had swimming lessons today. Like every Wednesday, all the other kids were going into the deep end while I had to stay at the shallow end because of my legs. And surely if I couldn't walk how would I swim? So yeah everything was normal. But just looking at the others swim in the deep end looked so much fun. I wished that I could go that far as well. But of course I couldn't. I would immediately drown. Sometimes I wished that I could swap legs with other people just to see what it feels like to walk. But I know that's just another one of my dreams.

So yeah, I was watching them while I was enjoying my time in the shallow end which was pretty much the only time I could get off my wheelchair at school. I felt so free, so happy. I never wanted this to end. Then I had the craziest idea. I decided to sit on the edge were the shallow end and deep end meet. I just wanted my legs to be consumed in the inviting water instead of only having them half in.

I scooted close and closer. Each time making sure The teachers didn't look at me. Luckily they were all busy talking. And eventually I reached the edge. I sighed as the clear blue water overlapped my legs. The water felt so welcoming. This was heaven. I started nodding off into my usual daydreams when suddenly I heard shouting and heaps of splashing. The noise was coming from behind me. I didn't know if I wanted to look.

But my instincts made me turn around. There they were. Two boys. Splashing each other... They were mucking around and each time they were one step closer to me. Then the moment came. One of them pushed another into the deep end. Your probably wondering how bad can that be? It's just a bit of a splash in the face. But it wasn't. He didn't just go into the deep end. He carried my along the way. In other words, he ran into me and pushed me into the deep end.

I panicked. The water wasn't only around my legs now... It was all around my body. I gasped for air and tried to use my arms to help me float up to the top. But I couldn't. It was too much for me. I waved a hand up in the air to get someone to help me before I drowned. Then slowly the water pulled me into its depths. I held my breath. But I knew I couldn't hold it forever.