Chapter 17 - Screw Protocol

Using my personal phone, I called the lieutenant directly and explained the situation. At first he laughed at me, reasoning that no one in his office could possibly be dirty right under his nose. But after a moment of likely considering the consequences for his career should I be right and he be wrong, he consented to put the office on lockdown.

"Is he going to wait for us to get there?" Reese asked as he sped down the interstate.

I laughed but didn't think it was funny. "I doubt it."

"So he can take all the glory, I'm sure."

I braced myself against the dash as we took a particularly fast curve off the exit ramp. "I'm sure."

When we peeled into the parking lot a few minutes later, there were several officers outside the main door on the steps. They looked confused and anxious and glad to see two detectives who might know what was going on.

I pulled out my radio. "What's happening in there?" I asked one of the deputies.

He shook his head. "We don't know. The building's on lockdown. Doors are barred and nobody's answering the radio. Somebody said it's something internal."

Cupping my hands around my eyes, I tried to peer through the reflective glass on the front entrance. It was hard to focus through the dim window, but after a second, I registered that Ramon had Marge in his arms, using her as a shield against the deputies with their guns drawn on him in the lobby. Something sharp was in his hand and pointed at her head—or her neck— I couldn't tell.

"What is it?" Reese asked, stepping up behind me.

"He's taken Marge as a hostage!" I spun around. "Everyone get away from the door!"

Reese grabbed my arm. "What are you going to do?"

I aimed my Glock at the door handle. "I'm going to let him out."

"Nate, man, no! That's against protocol—"

"Screw protocol, Reese!" I shouted. "He's going to come through that door and we're going to take him down! He doesn't have a gun and he doesn't know what the hell he's doing."

He was shaking his head. "This is a bad idea, man."

I narrowed my gaze at him. "Trust me."

After a second of deliberating, he took a step back, and I fired off a round at the door where I knew the locking mechanism was housed. The blast was deafening. Just as I predicted, the door swung open and Ramon stumbled back out of it with Marge still in his grip. Reese and I rushed him from both sides, me pushing Marge out of the way and Reese tackling him onto the concrete. Marge's silver letter opener clanged to the ground as it flew from Ramon's grasp.

Reese sat up with his knees still pinning Ramon down on the sidewalk and panting as he pressed Ramon's face into the concrete. "Got him."

I pulled back from where I was sheltering Marge. "Are you OK?"

She had a bloody scratch on her neck and she was visibly trembling, but she nodded. "I'm OK. Thank you, Nathan."

Every other officer inside the jail poured out through the door with their guns aimed at us. I wiped sweat from my brow under my hat. "Show's over, boys."

Carr stormed outside. "I should have known!" he roared.

I rolled off of Marge and onto my ass, still trying to catch my breath. I looked up at him. "It's over."

In two strides, he was almost on top of me. "You just violated about nineteen different—"

"Carr!" I shouted to cut him off.

He stopped, taken back by my tone.

I looked up at him. "Just shut up!"

All eyes in front of the jail went wide. Reese laughed. A few people stumbled back. I didn't care.

Dusting myself off, I stood up and shook my head. "I knew we could take him down and we did. It's over. Punish me. Fire me." I shook my head. "I don't even care anymore." I offered Marge my hand and helped her to her feet. Another officer took her under his arm and led her back toward the building. I stopped just in front of my boss's face. "Excuse me. I've got work to do."

****************

BOOM. GO NATE.