Getting Started

Chapter.2 Getting Started

It was akward when I came downstairs the next morning. The atmosphere was so tense that I could have cut it with a knife and it was snap back and hit me in the face.

"Morning." I mumbled grabbing a bowl out of the cabinet and taking a seat t the island next to Bethany, who was wearing a scary out amount of makeup and really tight clothing that showed off what little bit of a figure she had. I grabbed the box of fruit loops out of her hand and poured a bowl of my own, ignoring the glare I was recieving from my step-sister.

"Good morning sweetheart!" my mom said I little to enthusiastically. She was putting up a good front for me. Which I appreicated, I wasn't one for mushy family moments.

"Alright well it's time to go." Mark announced, pulling on his leather jacket and heading for the door.

Bethany shoveled a few more spoonfuls of cerial down her throat before following her dad out the door.

Pulling her jacket on as well my mom looked over at Adrain who was happily eating scrambled eggs. "Remeber to pick Bethany up on your way." she reminded him, shooting me another smile and then following her husband out the door leaving me and Adrain alone.

"You ready to go?" he asked placing his plate in the sink, departing the same process as Bethany I nodded and quickly headed for the door, throwing on my boots and my leather jacket.

I followed him out the door to the old rusty truck that was in our driveway. A gift from his and bethany's mother, almost like an 'I'm sorry for walking out on you two and having three new replacement kids and moving to california' present. Although I know it wasn't what he really wanted from his mother he treasured the old rusty car as if it was his own child.

I hopped into the passenger seat and flicked on the radio, hoping to start off the day with one of my favorite songs. Edge of Glory by lady gaga came on and I started belting out the song, which really pissed Adrain off while he drove us to school. He just turned it off plunging the car into silence.

"Hey!" I protested glaring at him while he smirked at the front windshield.

We both remained silent for a while until Adrain broke it.

"So do you plan on telling your friends now?" he asked suddenly.

I thought about it for a second but I already new the answer. None of my friends new about my cancer, I wouldn't tell them. I wouldn't let anyone outside of the family know. At first it was because I thought it would go away in a year or so, there wasn't much point in letting anyone know it would be gone soon anyway. But when it didn't I still wouldn't let anyone else know. I guess it was because of their sympathy but I also felt slightly embarrassed because to me it almost like I was getting punished...I didn't want anyone to know that.

"No." I said answering Adrain.

He sighed. "Your gonna have to tell them soon."

"I know, and I will...just not now."

We were pulled up in front of the school now and everyone was inside trying to escape the rain that was pouring down.

"I'll see ya later." I called over my shoulder, running straight for the school trying not to get to wet.

Once I was safely inside, I pulled down my hood and ran a hand through my long dirty blonde hair getting rid of any knots the rain may have caused.

I headed down the hall in the direction of my locker spotting a group of my friends huddled over a couple lockers down. They didn't even notice me. And that was why I hadn't told any of them. I wasn't exactly their first priority. Never the focus of attention. And I didn't want them trying to hang out with me out of sympathy because they knew I'd be gone soon. I wanted my last year to be real.