Chapter 3 - The Family

At around the same time the spell was working on Mike, in the Overworld, the Knight family knew nothing of their coming invasion. However, considering that the patriarch, Rufus, was an accomplished adventurer/fighter, the Knights were all training.

     "Again," said a cold voice. The person to whom this word was directed to heaved a great sigh. Once more taking careful aim, she nocked another arrow to her bow and released it almost at once. The arrow landed in the forest.

     "One more time, Attie!" yelled a warmer voice. "You just have to shave off another second from the time it takes you to shoot, and you won't waste anytime aiming after a shot and a nock."

     "I wish you wouldn't keep on changing your voice every time you want to encourage me or want to creep me out," Attie said, rolling her eyes.

     "Now, now, is that any way to talk to your trainer?" said the source of the voices, clucking in disapproval.

     "My apologies, Grandfather," Attie said, lowering her head.

     "There is no need to lower your head."

     Yup, just an average day so far. The two Knights had been working all morning and afternoon at their farm, right up until the sun touched the horizon.

     Every summer vacation, the three children of the Knight family go to their grandfather's farm in the countryside. It wasn't really an enforced rule that they should go, but they have all without fail made it there every year since they were still young. Of course, it was only until they were teenagers that they went there on their own. 

     Before the elder twins, Yin and Yang, came of age, they, with their little sister Attie, were driven to the farm by their parents. Their parents left them there and came back for them when vacation was over. When the twins came of age, and while Attie still wasn't, they were responsible for going to and returning from the farm with Attie. Now, they were all allowed to leave their home for the farm every vacation, but they had to be back before school started.

     Even at the age of 86, Rufus Knight enjoyed teaching his grandchildren sword arts and archery. Back in the day, before the Veil, he was a renowned adventurer. Now, with the Veil in place, he regaled his children with pre-Veil tales. About what was possible, what was common knowledge, and why that was ultimately too dangerous.

     "It's almost nighttime; the dusk has arrived," intoned Attie.

     "That is so, but you forgot one thing."

     "What's that?"

     "You need to hunt skellies, spidies, and jockies," smiled Rufus. "We need more bone meal and dye. Our bows and fishing poles are falling apart, and Wolf wants bones. It's your turn to hunt."

     "Seriously?"

     "Seriously. Go now, Wolf is waiting," Rufus said, going back into the house.

     "Fine," Attie said to no one in particular. She readied her bow as she went out into the woods to wait for darkness to come.