What I Shouldn't Know

There are things that should not be known. I know because I am the one who knows these things.

When you look at me, you'll see another average Admin brunette. Chocolate brown hair (I've seen a piece of chocolate once, at my sixteenth birthday. My dad found some from a vender in the outlying regions.) Eyes, brown again, and skin so pale you'd think I never ate. However, I'm not. Not after all my family has been through, well my broken family since my dad was taken by the Administration.

I walked over to my seat in the banquet hall with Jerra and Ket. I tried to pretend everything was fine, like my father hadn't just been taken by the Administration. It's hard when everyone stares at you like some kind of freak. The year is 2098, and I am only seventeen. Our Gen knows nothing of before 2012, it seems long ago. But not when you ...

"Korey!!! OMZ!!! I Think Jem 4232 is looking at me!!" Ket squealed. Just like Ket to interrupt one's thoughts with the dumbest information.

"Jem would never look at any of us, especially someone willing to talk to me." Ket just bounced up and down, her red curls bobbing up and down. She looked perfect, it wasn't hard to understand how she always got dates while I was stuck in Freakland.

"I'm gonna go over there and talk to him! Kay? Is that ok?"

"Yeah, whatever." I sighed. Jerra and I proceeded to walk to the table. Once we arrived, I got the stink eye from several of the other kids the table. I hunched over my disgusting looking soup and slurped the Vegan noodles slowly, sneaking a couple Drift pills. They were against the law, but I needed them to get by in the day without having a Brain Malfunction in front of everyone.

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBlllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiirr! The loud bell signaling the end of meal break rang out. Everyone got up out of their seats robotically and marched to their classrooms in perfect synced walking patterns. I saw my father's vid stems of high schools in 2011. Their was chaos in the halls, and in the classes. And they had weird blocks of paper that sat open on their desks, right along side ancient CPU's. I started to step out of line, the tiny radio embedded in my ear made a short screech, and I drifted back into line dreamily.

"Hey, your Kora right?"