Be My Juliet

Penelope's POV
Dan and I sat on the roof of the building his flat was in. It was only a few minutes before sunrise, as evidenced by the faint white line barely visible over the buildings. I was in my thick, cream-colored sweater, but I was still cold, so Dan had his arm around my shoulders. I leaned against him. Neither of us said anything, but we didn't need to. The chilly breeze blew my long hair about, eventually making its way into Dan's face. He shook his head and sneezed. I let out a soft laugh, admiring his face. I loved him, and I felt so lucky in that moment, because he loved me back. With everything that had been going on, it was hard to find a peaceful moment.
That moment, though. Just as dawn broke. The golden rays of the sun split the sky, turning the dark night a rich, orangey pink, spilling golden light over everything, blinding in its perfection. I would have gasped at the beauty, but I didn't want to miss any of it. The clouds were a wonderful mix of blinding goldenrod yellow, baby pink, and on the top, still dark with night. I watched as the stars and constellations of the night faded, making way for the beauty of the dawn.
I froze the image in my head. No, not just the image. The way it felt. Dan's arms around me, giving me warmth. The cold breeze on my face, blowing my hair back. The gorgeous image before us. And, most of all, the feeling of peace in that moment. The way the moment felt so right, like it was meant to happen to us, right then, right there. Like we were untouchable. Everything in that moment was perfect.
Then it was over. Dan sneezed again and I looked at him. "Come on, let's go back inside. I don't want you to catch a cold," I said, smiling. He smiled down at me.
"Alright, Pen."

BMJ contest submission