Preface

The sword fell, severing the man’s head from his body. His spirit fighting to make its protests heard as the mouth continued to move. It was sickening, the brutal execution and the crowd’s cheers. They did not care that this man was a father, a man who had a family who loved and looked up to him. No, the crowd just wanted the bloodshed.

The executioner was just doing his job I did not blame him, I blamed the Master. His powers over us were being misused; he was using his influence to create a reign of fear. My father was on the chopping block because he wanted change. He wanted us to be free from the Master’s bloody rule.

He knew exactly how to do it, but I was hesitant to go through with his plan. I was the oldest; it was my duty to respect my father’s dying wish. My brother did not have the same determination that fuelled my father and now me, he was my mother’s son and I was my father’s daughter.

I turned away from the stage – my father would not want me to see him like that – and put my arm around my brother’s shoulders, leading him away. He was no longer a boy, grief had hardened him. He was too young to remember our mother; she died of the red fever when he was just beginning to walk. I did and now it was just us. Nothing would happen to my brother, I swore it on my blood.

That night I began my transformation. I bound my breasts and became a boy. I took my father’s hunting knife and cut my hair just below my ears. It was messy but it would do, my disguise would hold. I would do my father proud and become a Zodiac Samurai, a protector of the people and a keeper of a dragon.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vote...Comment...Like...Tell me what you think