Chapter One: Vacancy

//Authors Note//

Chapter 2 coming soon! :) This Chapter is short, I apologize for that, but with further ado, enjoy, & feel free to let me know your thoughts so far!

She laid in her room. Blinds open, allowing the balmy sunlight to peer over the window sill, perch on her back, and over her neck. Sarah's fair skin lightly glowed and glistened in the midst of her sheer curtains that draped above and over her bed. Her books and backpack lied slumped over on the floor, supporting themselves off her vanity table bench. Sarah had come home from an overly arduous day at school.

She sat on top of her velutinous duvet covers, with poor-hunched over posture. Her feet overhanging the side of the bed. She stared blankly at the floral wallpaper-filled walls. Bulky white, and wooden shelves wrapped around the room. She seemed to notice all the missing objects she had taken off her shelves, over the past 3 years, a little more than usual.

She was always too engaged in everything else going on in her life, than to just pause for a moment and notice these meager details. Empty gaps, which sat upon her shelves, replaced some of her old books, and plush toys that she had removed. These bare vacant spaces haunted her mind a bit. They reminded her of everything she had taken down after the delirious day three years ago. She was now eighteen since that one day. Sarah hadn't changed much. She still was the innocent-minded child that never wanted to grow up.

She still loved to read and recite all her favorite books and plays, and admire the characters and the stories within. All, except one. Sarah had matured in other senses, she was better with Toby, which was three years old now. She also had become more social and had made some good friends. Yet she still remained the stubborn, strong-willed, and adventurous young girl she always was.

Thomas and Luna were the names of her friends. Thomas had a tall and fragile structure, with brown eyes, warm, golden hair, and fair skin quite like Sarah's, except with scattered freckles. Since the day Sarah met Thomas, he was so sweet and affable. He was very pleasant to speak to, and easy to approach. He wasn't very popular, he had few friends, but that's what made him the very 'down to Earth' person that he was.

Sarah enjoyed his company a bunch, he was someone that was always down to do anything, and was very simplistic. On the other hand, Luna was the exact opposite. With a voluptuous figure, full lips and natural flaming, pin straight rose hair that almost seemed to blossom with volume from her head, Luna had a fierce, bold personality, and was a complete social butterfly. Her passion had always been to cheer and she was on the schools cheer team, so naturally, Luna was in on the 'it' group. Luna had many friends that were considered 'popular' that Sarah never really cared for, but it was Luna's life and Sarah dealt with it.

The sight of Luna was a pleasure to many boys at McKinney High School, and girls here aspired to be her. She once even wore her cardigan inside-out to school, due to a long night the day before, and sure enough Luna's wanna-be's emulated her simple mistake, day by day, the week after. Besides these things, Sarah adored Luna. Luna never allowed for her faddish group of friends to overcome her and Sarah's friendship. Although Luna was friends with the crowd-pleasing group, she never spoke to them like she would to Sarah.

Luna often spoke about the latest song, or whatever mindless topic was hot at school with her little 'it' group. Though, with Sarah, she would always tell her what was really going on behind closed doors. Luna would always lay it on the line, and tell it like it is. Luna was a trustworthy friend and was always there for her, and Sarah truly prized their special friendship. Sarah drew her attention back to her room.

She looked down at her dangling feet, then to her backpack, reminding her that she had tons of work to do. She upheld her head, and took one last glance at her partially unfurnished shelves. The second sight of the emptiness reminded her, once again, of her twisted, fantasy filled past. Her stomach churned. Ignoring the fact, Sarah let in a whale of breath, and as she let it out in the form of a sigh, she threw back her body, letting her self forcefully collide against her bed. Sarah closed her eyes.

"Something doesn't feel right." She eerily whispered to herself.