Chapter 1

Aspen gently shut her diary and placed it inside of the carry-on bag that was sitting beside her on the bench. It’s time, Aspen. Time to chase your dreams, she thought to herself. With that, she stood up and gathered her luggage, which consisted of a large, bright red rolling suitcase, a matching carry-on bag, and a small over-the-shoulder purse. Carrying all of these things at once seemed a little awkward to her, but she had no choice. After all, she was here alone and knew absolutely no body. Now, you may be wondering why a twenty year old girl would come to New York alone… The answer was simple. Broadway. Her life’s dream was to star in a show on Broadway, and the only way to do that was to live here and figure things out for herself.

When she walked through the doors of the airport, the first thing she saw a was a cabby holding a fairly large piece of paper with the word, "Aspen," printed sloppily across it. Aspens parents, being the protective people they were, had called everywhere Aspen planned to go in advance in order to insure everything went as smoothly as possible. This included making sure she had a ride to her newly-rented shoe-box apartment from the airport.

Aspen began walking towards the man and the bright yellow cab. "Are you Aspen?" the burly man questioned.

Aspen answered politely, "Yes, I am. Thanks. And who, may I ask, are you?"

"The name’s Jackson," he informed, "but I’m called Jay." He politely held the cab door open for her, and she ducked inside.

"Nice to meet you, Jay." She replied. Jay shut the door and walked at a noticeably slow pace back to the front seat… Well… maybe it just seemed slow to Aspen because she was so focused on her heart racing at the speed of light…

She latched her seatbelt just as Jay opened the front door. "So, you’re new here, eh?" He sounded as if he were already quite sure of the answer.

Embarrassed, Aspen answered shyly, "Yeah, I am… What gave it away?"

"For starters," he said somewhat sarcastically," You just go off of an airplane. Plus, you’re wearing a dress with… what is that? Sunflowers? Pshh," he laughed rudely.

"Well, wha…" Aspen hesitated, "What’s wrong with sunflo…"

"AND," Jay interrupted, " you don’t quite look mean enough to live here."

A measly, "Oh," was all Aspen could coax from her mouth. Great. I’ve been here for 10 minutes and I already don’t fit in. She thought to herself.

Through the rest of the car ride, Aspen was completely consumed by similer thoughts, leaving no room for conversation.