Chapter 04

Complications with Sage

Upon the conclusion of her speech, the crowd roars with enthusiasm, rising to their feet and overwhelming the girl with thunderous applause. Proudly, Sage exits the stage with her head held high and her heart racing at what feels like the speed of light. Blake is already waiting for her and once she reaches the bottom of the short staircase, he greets her with another winsome smile. "You did great up there," he praises as they make their way to the small tent set up behind the audience.

"I don't know about that. I messed up a few times," Sage disagrees, shaking her head. At the stand,  she grabs up a cup of water and chugs the liquid down in one go. How refreshing. She needed that. After, she wipes her mouth with the back of her hand and tosses the paper cup into the recycling bin. "But I'm glad I was able to get them pumped up for Donna." She turns back to look at the stage where a woman in her mid-thirties stands, the microphone now in her grasp.

"I'm sure nobody noticed. You're a natural leader, Sage." Next, Blake pulls out his phone and checks the time. "Should we grab some lunch after this ends?"

"Sure, lunch sounds good. I'm famished," she answers.

"You didn't eat breakfast, did you?" He knows her all too well.

Sage proceeds to shrug nonchalantly, dismissing the matter as though it's no big deal. And to her, it isn't. It's not like she's a stranger to skipping meals, especially when she's always so preoccupied with other things. That's the life of a college student for you. At least, Sage's version anyways. "I didn't have time."

"Then make time, Sage," the young man chides apprehensively, sending her a pointed look. "Your body needs food in order to be able to function properly like everyone else. How are you going to go around fighting for what you believe in on an empty stomach?" By now, he's completely lost track of how many times he's had to remind her how important it is to eat, even if she might be too busy with trying to change the world. However, like a child who doesn't know better, Sage does the exact opposite of whatever she's told.

How an intelligent, reasonable yet very passionate girl her age is incapable of taking care of herself surprises even him. So of course Blake can't help but worry for her well-being. That's nothing out of the ordinary for him though. He's sort of gotten accustomed to it. It's, some might even say, become a habit for him, one which he cannot quit, especially not any time soon. Trust me, he's tried to, but there's just something about Sage that keeps reeling him back in. It's as though she has her own gravitational pull, keeping him orbiting around her.

"Okay." She nods. "I'll try to make time to eat from now on." If he got a dime for every time he's heard her say that. "Meet you there?"

"No," Blake denies without reluctance. "Wildflower is all the way on the other side of town. It'll take you a while to get there. Just come with me. We can take my car."