Chapter 22

// nina //

I've been spending the past five hours trying to find a good piece from my closet for Scarlet's party. A ball, really? She could've just picked a fairytale themed party. I can wear a brown romper and dye my hair green temporarily, which will make me the talking tree. Easy peasy.

My mom suddenly walked in my room, but the sight seemed to horrify her and stop her from her tracks. "What in the world happened in here?" She asked with a hoarse, disguted voice.

I stood up straight, and took a glance at my room. If I was her, I'd be asking the same thing, or maybe even worse. My clothes were all over my room — some were on my bed, some were on my desk, and some were on the floor. It wasn't just my clothes that were wandering in my room, but also a few school works, novels and some mixtapes.

I exhaled and buried my pace on the palm of my hands. "I know, I'm sorry, mom. I'll clean this up later, okay?"

She picked up an old sweatshirt from the floor. "You better be, hun. What's this all about, anyway?"

And so I told her about Scarlet's birthday and the theme of her party.

She picked up some that were on the floor. "Clean this mess up and just buy one. I'll give you the money."

I was shocked by what mom said. There's no way I'll be spending money on a dress I'll be using once.

"Mom, I don't need a new one. I'm sure there's one in my closet, I just haven't found it yet."

She looked at me and wrapped an arm around my shoulder. "Honey, you deserve to look good on that party, okay? Besides, I've been spending so much time with work lately that I never get to chat with you anymore. I want to make it up with you."

I knew she'd say this sooner or later, but not now. I've noticed how hard mom is going through ever since dad left us. I'm sure she's still in pain even if it happened several years ago already. She loved him, more than anything and anyone else in this world, but maybe her love wasn't enough for my dad to stay with us and love us the way mom did. I'm trying my best to forget how dad left us, and just be strong and not to be a burden to mom. She's carrying a lot of baggage on her back, and I don't want to make it any heavier.

"Mom.." I muttered.

"Just do what I say. I'll call Toby to come with you, okay?"

// toby //

I grabbed the mix tape out from my computer and placed it in a clear case. It's been a while since I sent Nina one. I pray to all the gods this will make her happy — happier than how that English Nick makes her happy.

I'm not exactly sure how I'll hand this to her. I don't know why but I don't think I have the guts to magically appear at their place and ask her out for a walk right now.

When I was about to stand up to play with Tank, my phone on my desk rang. It was Elizabeth.

"Hello?" I spoke through the phone.

"Hey Toby!" Mrs. Baker greeted from the other line. "Do you have any plans today?"

I paused for a while to think about it. "I don't think so," I replied. "Is there something wrong?"

"Well, I was just wondering if you don't mind accompanying Nina today. She needs to buy something and I still have a mountain pile of papers to check so I really can't come with her. Would that be okay with you?"

I felt my heart beat faster with the mention of her name. What in the world is wrong with me?

"Y-yes! Of course, that's fine," I immediately replied, stuttering a bit. Way to go, Toby James.