Chapter 14

Offensive chapter up ahead.

Chapter 14

Annalise

       I wasn't really happy with the way my parents treated Cannon when he, Hunter, and Violet came over for my birthday, so I did basically what every teenager would do.

       Ignore them.

       I knew they treated him that way because I liked Cannon. I mean, they didn't treat Hunter and Violet that way. They didn't even give Cannon a chance, but he was one of the sweetest guys I know. Sure, he was a bit arrogant at times, but he was still very sweet.

       My parents figured out I was ignoring them basically the next day and tried talking to me, but I gave them the excuse of me having a lot of homework since I knew they wanted me to focus in school.

       I only had a bit of homework, so I finished it in less than an hour. I immediately began feeling bored and I couldn't go on my laptop because my parents limited to me using it to three days a week, excluding school uses. And I already used up those three days.

       Fortunately, I got a video chat request from Cannon shortly after I put my homework away. I accepted it and immediately saw Cannon's smiling face on the screen, which gave me butterflies. He was so cute. "Hey, Lise," he said. "How was school?"

       "Same old, same old," I said. "And by that, I mean extremely boring."

       "I feel you," Cannon said. "I'm not trying to complain or anything, but there's seven days a week and we have to go to school for five of those. Who made up that?"

       I giggled. "Exactly. So....About the way my parents treated you when you came over...."

       "Don't even worry about it," Cannon said. "It's fine. Really."

       "Are you sure?" I asked.

       "Yeah," Cannon said. "Trust me, I get judged all the time."

       "Really?" I asked. I mean, who would judge Cannon Venturi?

       ....Well, my parents, for one.

       Cannon nodded. "Yup. Take school, for example. All the teachers there think I'm a troublemaker....which I kind of am, but still. They look at me and think that. If they see how I act before assuming it, that's a different story."

       "You're not really a troublemaker," I said.

       "Trust me, I am," Cannon said. "Only at school though, because school is boring, so why not make it interesting and fun?"

       "Your logic makes total sense," I said with an eye roll.

       "Hey, don't doubt me," Cannon said. "People love me at school because I make things less boring."

       "If only I went to your school so I could witness that," I said. "My school is extremely boring and....well, lonesome ever since my so-called friends decided to hate me because I wouldn't give them my homework."

       "They're still mad?" Cannon asked.

       "Yeah, but I could honestly care less," I said. "You, Hunter, and Violet have been way better friends than Iris and Daphne had ever been."

       "Of course we are," Cannon said. "I mean, it's me we're talking about. I'm the best friend anyone could ever have."

       "And the arrogance is back," I said. "How nice."