the rain shall not steal myself from you

so this is my backup plan. should be easier to manage. pls do tell what you think. id like to know if im making a fool of myself.

"j-josh. josh, i'm really scared."

a peal of thunder sounded and shook the whole house. tyler joseph did not like storms. he held the phone close to his ear, clutching it as though it was the only safe thing in the world.

"shhh ty. i'm trying to get there."

josh's phone was dripping with water as he stood by a street lamp, catching his breath. his bike wheels were muddy and the gears were clogged with clay. tyler was his best friend. and if that meant biking in a storm at four forty-one in the morning to go comfort him, of course josh would do that. tyler kept calling him throughout the ten minute bike ride. at almost every street lamp, josh had felt the vibration in his hoodie pouch.

"ty. i have to let you go. just a few more minutes. hang in there, bud." josh heard tyler yelp as another boom resounded.

"quickly." tyler breathed.

josh ended the call.

tyler looked at his phone as though it was a dying puppy. why couldn't josh have kept him on the call? tears slipped his eyes as rain slipped down his window pane. tyler was alone with his mind, so the only thing left to do was write something out. tyler usually did that in storms, but tonight was especially full of thunder. it's hard to focus when your brain is being jostled around. he tried picturing someone else in the room.

hello. we haven't talked in quite some time.

clap of thunder. no, tyler couldn't concentrate. he tried again.

rain falls from you. can you wash me? can you drown me?

tyler didn't want to drown. what if the rain flooded his house? he might die. he might die if josh didn't get there. what if josh got in an accident all because of tyler? the tears fell so much faster at the thought of it. tyler knew he was vastly overthinking everything, and that his brain could not be trusted, but somehow, overthinking took so much less exertion than underthinking. a personal rainstorm had begun in the little room, fat drops rained down and destroyed everything within the flood's reach. writing was a bad idea.

"please hurry up." tyler whispered to no one in particular. just then, he heard a knock on his window and jumped in his skin. at the water beaded glass was a 17 year old boy wearing a soaking wet hoodie and muddy shoes. a tuft of purple hair fell over his eyes, shining damp underneath the hood.

josh wore a caring smile on his face, and his nose ring glinted with the frequent lightning. the younger boy let him in and josh enveloped tyler in a giant, wet, hug. josh hugs are the best thing ever.

"oh josh, thank you th-thank you. it was taking a w-while and i thought maybe you were caught by a flash flood o-or you got abducted or," tyler shrunk in josh's embrace, "or hit b-b-by.. lightning." he whispered.

josh smiled to one side, his warm eyes crinkling at the corners. "im here now, ty. everything is alright. im okay, you're going to be okay."

at the moment, tyler didn't care how weird it was that two teenage boys were basically cuddling in the light of lightning. he didn't think about how josh was completely soaked, and probably would catch a cold, and might die. or that they should probably move away from the windows, because everyone knows it's dangerous to be near them in storms. no, the only thing circulating tyler's brain was the thankfulness he felt for josh's presence. oh, how easy it would be to tell him how he really felt about their relationship. but that would ruin everything, and josh would leave him. because love would be weird between them.

"tyler.. i, uh.." josh pulled away from the hug and looked tyler straight in the eyes, the latter shifting his glance to something on the ground, "i don't know if you feel.. the same.. but-" tyler resisted every fiber of his body telling him not to do this, not to mess it all up and lose the only one he cared about, and shoved his hands under josh's arms and around the small of his back, snuggling his cheek into josh's chest.

josh looked with wide eyes and mouth slightly parted at the head of brown hair clinging to him. he closed his arms around tyler, and stroked his back.

tyler never wanted to let go, because if he did, josh wouldn't want to be with him anymore, and the sudden silence would suffocate tyler, and tyler definitely did not want to suffocate. but he let go anyways, raising his head very slowly, shaking all over from the cold water everywhere that he suddenly noticed. "im sorry. i-i didn't mean anything. s-sorry."

the older boy looked down at him with the warmest of eyes, and planted pink lips on his forehead. the shaking stopped, as did the thunder in the sky of tyler's mind. josh smiled in the kiss, tyler doing the same, furrowing his brow in happiness. josh cupped tyler's hair through his fingers, moving down the bridge of tyler's nose, planting tiny kisses on every bit of it, down to his lips. he hoped he wasn't moving too fast for tyler to be comfortable with, but tyler showed no hesitancy for once. tyler melted into the kiss, pressing their foreheads together. this was what tyler needed. nothing could go wrong in the world, everything felt right. the paranoia was still there, oh yes that would never go away, but it couldn't break past the barrier of security he felt in josh. it seemed to last forever. this would be tyler's first kiss. not that he had refused any offers, because he hadn't gotten any offers, because no one liked him, because he just wasn't a likable person with all his insecurities and frights, but josh was with him now and that was all that mattered.

their mouths worked so happily together. josh tasted of the mint gum he always boasted. kind of a milky, sweet mint. it reminded tyler of the summertime, and tornadoes, because summertime always comes with tornadoes, and storms, and horrible things like mosquitos and flies, but it mostly reminded tyler of josh. because josh was all that mattered.

one of them finally broke away, and that worried tyler because if josh was the one who stopped the kiss, josh might not love him as much, because the person who breaks away first is the one who never really wanted the kiss, but if tyler was the one who ended it, josh might think tyler didn't like him very much, but it didn't matter who broke away, or who thought what, because they kissed. and that was all that mattered.

both boys exhaled with relief, tyler with joy. because joy is something you find when you are more than happy. when you've found something to get you through the night, something to grasp.

"t-thank you." tyler squeaked under his breath. he mustered the determination to say what he really wanted - "can you stay. please."

josh stripped off his hoodie and climbed into the small bed, arms open to tyler, who crawled under the covers, curling into josh's embrace.

in the morning tyler would regret this horribly, and josh would probably leave forever and never come back, and the stutters would appear again and plague him, and tyler would be left alone forever with his mind, but the both of them were there now. for that moment. and honestly, that was all that mattered.

IM SQUEAKING BC IM ACTUALLY KIND OF HAPPY WITH THIS AND AHNFNDNSM AAAAA I GOT SOMETHING DONE pls comment thank u i love u all