Chapter 1

*AUTHOR'S NOTE: THIS IS A WORK OF FICTION, NONE OF THE EVENTS OR DETAILS ARE REALATED TO THE REALITY.

Damien

The Kingdom of Amestrid.

The Hawk's headquarter.

Indoors

"When will I see you again?

"I don't know for sure, Lena, but I think not for long..."

"Just promise me something..."

"What's that?"

"That you will never forget me, til' the day we meet again".

"I will remember you forever, I promise."

"Good that..."

Again that dream, I open my eyes, surprise that I'm still sitting by the window. The Amestrid's sky today is quite pale with greyish color and no clouds. I can see some soldiers loading the trucks with weapons and foods, some are practicing with combat skills. Right, I slowly get up, tomorrow will be our first day of getting to the battlefield, we have been training for this for years. I put on my uniform, tighten the white gloves then swing the rifle across my shoulder. Sometimes I do wonder how long have this war been on, it has already on for about 10 years since the day I was born according to my father. Now I'm 16, that pluses 16 more years to the wartime. When I was announced that I will be on the field today, all my fellow trainees let out smalls sigh like: "Good luck" or "Don't die to soon, my friend", some of my mentors or superior even said: "Sending such a greenbean to the field, what was he thinking...?".

By "he", they meant Count Wyatt, who is the founder and the leader of The Hawk army quad. Since he is the voice of the army no one resist or show disapproval, but it's kinda confused to me when he wants to send me to the quad of soldiers that must be 18 and up; I'm the youngest troop ever, obviously.

But then I have a different thought, maybe he saw potential in me, I'm the only one in the training class that score perfectly on every aspects: shooting, combating, ...especially piloting, that's what I'm best at. And...it's kind of a chance for me to see her earlier, she is a smart girl to my knowledge, so I guess they would let her facing the warfront soon, just like I did.

Her..., a memory flashes into my mind.

Elena, I used to call her Lena...

Lena..."It has been almost three year" I murmur.

***

Lena

"The Sun" Alliance of Nations

Military Zone

Indoors

"The academy's food is suck"

I quickly grab my meal then make my way through the chaotic cafeteria where a bunch of loudmouthed kids always chit-chatting in lunch time. I head straight forward to the laboratory.

"So," Professor Nishida spots me immediately, "Are you saying goodbye to me now?"

"What are you talking about?" I reply.

"Ya' know what is it", he talks while dropping somekind of liquid to the sample on the table, "Your report was quite impressive then".

Oh, the report. I just received it yesterday, all of my results and comments were written in it. It was like a tool to judge the trainees and put them into the suitable position. Usually everyone pass and get to the section just a week after receiving the report, but for the one who fail, they will have to take the course again and if they keep failing for three time, they will be dismissed and be sent to the countryside to do farmwork. In my course, ten person fail, one have to say farewell to the Military Zone because once you are out, you can never come back.

The Professor continues saying: "Happy then? I mean, with your result?"

"Oh yes, never happier" I answer in a mocking voice.

Never happier. I should be the happiest, I had the highest marks in the course, I take the paper out from my bag to look at it again:

Report certificate:

Birth name: Elena Arslan Carson

Age: 16

Gender: Female

Nationality: "The Sun" Alliance of Nations

Blood type: B

Height: 1m68

Weight: 50kg

Score: Shooting: 99% ; Combating: 100% ; Piloting: 100% ; Technical skills: 97% ; Sniping: 98% ; Physical abilities: 99% ; Weapons controlling: 100%

Status: Pass (98%)

Note: An excellent trainee, we would like to see her in battlefield.

Occupation chosen: military frontfield soldier/agent.

Prof. Nishida takes his glasses: "When are you going?"

"They say in one week, I will be on a Sky Carrier to get there."

He says nothing. Behind the thick glasses, Mr. Nishida is such a young man compared to his age of 40. He has been working for military as a scientist for years and now finds it difficult to give up. His main job is often produces meds or vaccination for the soliders, but sometimes he experiments on weapons or even crafts. His lab is a warm and lovely place, he allows me to have lunch at his office ever since I was dragged here.

Ever since I was dragged here...

I can't believe three years have passed, I'm no longer the 13-year-old crybaby, now I'm a soldier, like a real military person, can't believe it was real.

Suddenly the image of him crosses my mind.

I recall the day we were split at the border sector of Shamballa, I can still hear the gunfire, the shouts, the cries, ... of the refugees. But above all, I can remember us, the two young toddlers who were violently forced to join the army.

"Damien", his name flashes in my head.

"How are you? It looks like we are gonna face each other soon", I try to hide some tears from Prof. Nishida.

"What's wrong", he catches my face, "Don't you desperately want to see your boy again?"

"Well", I blurt out some words, "I certainly want to see him, but not in such circumstances, you know".

He lets out a small laugh: "Young love. Life is hard sometimes my dear".

My cheeks turn rosy. Yeah, life is tough, it is even tougher for a teenage soldier. I keep wondering what he looks like now. The Damien I knew, or used to know, is a tall boy with blonde-platinum hair, he also had ocean blue eyes and high nose. What will he be like now? Taller, of course; low voice, maybe; more attractive, perhaps. Ugh, I can't stop thinking about him, my cheeks start turning pink whenever I think about him. Dr. Nishida seems to notice me blushing, he smiles kindly, I awkardly turn away.

I hurriedly finish my meal and leave the lab, not forgetting to say a thank-you to Mr. Nishida.

"Three more days", I whisper in my head, "Damien".