Chapter Two: Stubbornness of a Cowboy

Vaughn was the type of man who didn’t take nonsense from anyone. His step-father raised him in a military environment where everything had to be done right the first time or there would be consequences. When he was a teenager, he was a delinquent, verging on the path of becoming a criminal. His mother couldn’t handle him, so after he turned 15 she married a retired colonel.

     At first, Vaughn couldn’t stand him. His step-dad thought he could order him around like he was his biological father. Eventually though, when he introduced Vaughn to the animals on his ranch, the boy finally started to learn discipline. 

     Animals and ranching were his life. Those were the two things that Vaughn knew best. He had even tried to buy the ranch on the outskirts of the Sunshine Islands, but the old man gave it to some rich city girl who didn’t even want to be here. 

     Chelsea Randall was the most annoying and argumentative woman he had ever met. He enjoyed keeping to himself, but thisloud spoilt girl started asking him questions like this was the Spanish Inquisition. He hated when people pried into his life. As far as he was concerned it was no one else’s business but his own. 

     Still, even though he hated the woman, he had noticed that she was kind of cute. It was obvious that she had never done any manual labour in her entire life. She was too skinny, with no muscle power whatsoever. It was almost comical to watch her attempt to plant turnips. And this is who is supposed to revive this island? He snorted at this thought. “Stupid girl,” he mumbled out loud. 

“Did yah say somethin’ Vaughn?” Mirabelle looked over in his direction. He just realized that he was sitting inside her shop, thinking about that wanna-be farmer. 

“Nothin’,” he said firmly. 

“Oh come on dear. I know when somethin’ is on your mind. It’s painfully obvious.”

He grunted. “Just pissed off, that’s it.”

“Why?”

“Doesn’t matter!” He hissed. 

“Fine. Let me guess.” She put her hands on her hips teasingly. “It’s about Chelsea.” 

Vaughn shot the woman a glare but refused to answer. Mirabelle rolled her eyes.

“Vaughn dear, she’s sweet as pie. You should get to know her!”

“No!” He growled. 

“Why?” She repeated mockingly. 

“Because she stole my farm!” He yelled. 

Mirabelle was taken aback. She stared at the silver-haired man for a minute before speaking again. “What do you mean?”

He exhaled sharply. “I had talked to the old man weeks ago about buyin’ that ranch. He had promised it to me, but then that spoilt brat came along and took it from under me!” 

“Oh Vaughn,” she looked at him sadly. 

He averted his cold eyes to the ground. “I’ve always wanted my own ranch,” he muttered. 

She sighed. “Sweetie, you’ll get it someday.”

“I’m 22 Mirabelle. I ain’t got many chances.”

She raised an eyebrow. “That’s quite young.”

“But I know if I don’t get it now, I never will.” He stated firmly. He had never believed in fate. If he wanted something to happen to him, he was going to work for it.