Chapter Twelve- Body Electric

/////author note: I think this is my favorite chapter I've written so far/////

~

"Job hunting?" Roy raised an eyebrow and took a sip of his drink. "We're going to find a poor, defenseless job and put it down?"

MacKenzie smiled deeply. "Roy, it's a mercy killing."

"It is incredibly heartless to hunt those poor jobs."

"It's for your own good. And the job, of course. Population control, you know."

"And you. You've got to benefit from this, correct?"

"No, I just like you."

"I likewise enjoy your company. But is it futile?"

"The job hunting? No. It is absolutely futile-less."

"Not the killing of innocent jobs. The enjoyment of your company and otherwise lucky moments of you finding me at my weakest."

"Both are equally futile-less. Believe me."

"I think I believe you."

MacKenzie bit her lip as Roy gently lay his hand on hers. MacKenzie's hand was tiny, near like a child's. Roy clasped his own around it.

"I'm so glad." She suddenly stiffened beneath Roy's grasp and frowned. He pulled back suddenly, fearing he became too intimate to touch her too fast. But it was only a friendly gesture, he tried to tell himself that. And she had already touched him in so many ways.

"What-what's wrong, did I-" Roy began.

"No, it's nothing," MacKenzie sniffed. She tucked strands of blonde hair behind her ear. "Hey, let's get going."

"Oh. Um, okay, sure," smiled Roy.

She stood up gracefully. "Come on."

"I'm sorry," MacKenzie apologized as they sat in her car.  It was stuffy and the windows were rolled down.

"Don't be," Roy said. He studied her face. He couldn't tell if she was just sweating from the heat or had tears on her cheek. He felt guilty for no reason.

She adjusted the mirror and pursed her lips.

"Did I, uh, do something to upset you?"

"No, you didn't," MacKenzie said flatly before starting the engine. "I'm just, I'm tired. Can we just job hunt tomorrow?"

"I mean this was your idea," Roy was puzzled. "I don't care either way."

"Okay. We can go home then."

"Are you sure, MacKenzie? You were so-"

"Roy."

"You're tired," Roy sighed.

"Yeah, I just got real tired all of a sudden. It's the heat. It's the alcohol. I think I drank too fast."

"Ladies. Let's go home then."

"For a second you almost sounded excited about hunting," MacKenzie slightly smiled.

"Almost."

MacKenzie sped off. The LA heat still entwined the wind tumbling through the windows as they accelerated. Roy put his head back and closed his eyes, focusing on the rippling breeze. He then turned to MacKenzie whose eyes were plastered ahead at the road. Her cropped hair blew back from her face, cheeks red and eyes wet. She could've made a beautiful flapper girl. A striking vamp. Roy wanted to dress her up simply to stare at her. She pulled over in front of the apartment building.