Chapter Twenty Four- Behold The Stars

There were several small desks covered in clutter and books in the farthest room. A telephone hung on the wall by the window that looked out into the back where they had first come in. Roy picked up an old leather book on the edge of the farthest desk. Dante's Inferno. Roy chuckled, skimming through the pages.

"You reading this?" Roy questioned Dahlia. "Can't imagine Amanda getting her hands on it."

"Yeah," Dahlia smiled.

"You were always intelligent. Some heavy stuff."

Dahlia opened up a notebook and took pen to paper. She grinned.

"Dahlia, do you hate your job?"

She glanced up surprised.

"Answer me," Roy chuckled.

She said nothing and continued writing.

"What are we doing? What do you need me doing?"

"Oh. Just, we're making a list of all the books that are far past their due date. Can you copy these?"

Roy wheeled behind the desk next to Dahlia. She handed him a thick binder, full of dates and addresses.

"Can you...handle this?" Dahlia raised an eyebrow.

Roy couldn't tell if her question was filled with sarcasm or not and shook his head with a response.

"Yeah..."

"Great," Dahlia smiled.

"This is it? This is all we're doing today."

"Yeah, today. Unless Amanda wants you or I up front. But I don't know if she'll trust you yet."

"Interesting."

Silence.

"I'm going home later."

"Staying for dinner?" Dahlia asked.

"I don't know."

"William is coming over. You should meet."

"I hope he's good to you," Roy commented. He studied the ring on her finger. He was certain he could've afforded a nicer one, at some point...

"Extremely. Dade approves, that's what matters."

Roy nodded, continuing writing. "You, uh, you talk to Whit much?"

Dahlia coughed. "He keeps to himself. Stays on the farm most days. I saw your parents at the church picnic, by the way. You do remember the picnic, right?"

"I remember," Roy said. He cracked his knuckles. "You speak to them?"

"I did say hello to Loretta."

"Is she okay?"

"She seemed good to me, Roy."

"I'm glad to hear that."

Silence.

Dahlia suddenly stopped writing. "My heart is aching to see you smile again, Roy."