21. Sky

It was finally here. The dreaded month of September. School had started, Corey and I had been doing very well, and nothing truly eventful had happened. My life had been completely problem free for the entire duration of summer, as well as the first month of school. Then this.

"So I was thinking that maybe we could just do a party at your house."

"There's no party, Kelsey."

"Or we could do one at the water park."

"There is no party," I repeated.

"Ooh! Or we could do it at my house."

"Why do I bother speaking to you?"

"Maybe there should be a bunch of balloons, you like those, right?"

"I swear you're a brick wall."

"How many candles though? One that says eighteen or eighteen sticks?"

"I'm going to start talking to my sandwich in a moment because it pays more attention than you do."

"I think one candle that says eighteen."

"Hello, sandwich, how was your day? Pretty crappy, huh? Yeah, me too."

Kelsey glared at me. "You could at least try to participate in the conversation, Ryder."

"I did."

"No, you talked negatively about not wanting something inevitable to happen."

"Actually, I spoke truth while you talked to yourself."

She huffed. "Well, it's not like you're going to get around having a party. Especially since Corey is on my side. You never say no to him."

"She says no to me all the time," he muttered resentfully.

I snorted. "Only because you're a boy and have hormones control you."

"How can I make yours control you?"

"You can't," I said smugly, "I'm more highly developed than you are."

"You wanna start something, Ryder?"

I grinned at him. "I think I do want to start something, actually."

Kelsey sighed. "Tell Ryder we're having a party."

"We're not," he said simply. Both Kelsey and I looked at him in surprise, except my look was more happy while Kelsey's was mixed with disappointment. "There's no point, like Ryder said. I mean, yeah, I want to celebrate the day that the best thing to have ever happened to planet earth came in to existence, but if she doesn't want to, that's okay too." Corey sighed. "I've known Ryder for five months now and from what I understand, there's no use in arguing with her over small things like this. I've learned to pick my fights."

I looked at Kelsey, smirking. "You've known me five years and haven't figured that out."

She glared at Corey. "This is why I dislike you."

He snorted.

I leaned against Corey and smiled at Kelsey. "I happen to like him a lot."

* * * * *

meet me outside -sent at 4:13 pm

I lifted an eyebrow at Corey's text. The hell did he want? He said he was going home for a while before our date. After hours of debate, we decided that I would go on a double date with Jason and Kelsey instead of having an actual party, though I felt like something else was probably going to happen that I didn't like.

Shrugging, I walked down the stairs and outside.

"Do you still miss Bear?" he blurted the second I got outside.

"I'm thinking about a new dog. Why?"

Corey jogged to his car, took something out, then turned to me with a huge grin.

In his arms was a puppy.

"This is Sky."

* * * * *

Author's Note:

This is Sky-