One

She couldn’t breathe, a heavy weight crushing against her chest stopped the air from flowing into her lungs. Closing her eyes tightly, she struggled against the strong grip, but it was useless. She wouldn’t scream, even if she could, and she wouldn’t let panic settle into her mind. If this was when she was meant to die, then that was how it would end.

Slowly peeking out from under her eyelids, she met the eyes of her death. As the hand of the Titan gripped tighter, she let out what little remaining air she had, and felt her body turn in an unnatural way. Her vision blurring, she slumped against the titan and stared at the sky as her head leaned back.

A distant and faded noise caught her attention, and soon she was falling. The Titan was quickly moving away from her, as she dropped to the ground, but never landed. “Mischa, stay with me!” The voice was familiar though she couldn’t quite make out the face. Strong arms wrapped around her, but seemed to be struggling with the swords in their hands.

Trying to turn on her own, blood rose in her throat and she gave up, unable to stop the dizzy feeling and escaping blood. Her broken ribs had most likely pierced vital organs, at least she guessed from all the pain she was experiencing.

“Dammit!” The voice growled and held her closer, despite the blood. Suddenly the air changed and he was running, careful not to bend her a certain way. Her head was spinning and she was tired, her eyes drooping and body wanting rest. Yet the man carrying her wanted nothing more than for her to stay awake and suffer the pain.

She was laid down on her back, her head numb and eyes staring at the blue sky. Something was different about it. She didn’t want to think of it though, so she rolled her head to the side, and met with light brown eyes and short blonde hair.

“Reiner?” She choked out, but the blood was suffocating her so it sounded muffled. The figure nodded and he grabbed her hand, holding tightly.

He gave a low chuckle, although his eyes were grieving. “You’re going to be fine. They are going to fix you up.”

She closed her eyes, slightly tensed at him holding her hand, but there wasn’t much she could do. She had no strength left, so she allowed it. Whoever he meant by ‘they’, she didn’t want to know. If anything, she didn’t think she’d live to see tomorrow. The damage she took was too much, she almost wished he would have just left her.

There was a jolt and she was moving again. It made her sick and she hated it. Moaning, she moved her head back, a waved of dizziness washing over her. Her head was pounding and she wanted to throw up, but she couldn’t move. Reiner started yelling, words she couldn’t understand, and quickly. The cart she was placed upon started moving faster, causing her to roll on her side instinctively as vomit left her mouth. She would have died if she didn’t turn in time.

“Mischa, are you alright?”

Her eyes opened again to see Reiner on a horse, trotting alongside her. Managing a small nod, she almost reached out to him, but darkness encased her, pulling her into an abyss of sleep, the pain subsiding until it was no longer there. For now, she’d have to wait for death.