Chapter One

New York, that’s where I’d be in twenty-four hours’ time and that’s what I had to keep on telling myself. My palms had turned sweaty just thinking about the flight again. Four of us were going, a girls six night break; our first time away abroad on our own. It was a miracle that my parents were letting me go. The four of us had saved up hard and after getting our A Level results back the holiday was well earned. All of us were 18 now- it was a chance to party hard and of course take in the famous sights of Manhattan…even though we couldn’t legally drink out there yet.

“Lucy, Lucy! Are you still there?” Katy shouted down the phone. I quickly snapped out of my deep thoughts.

“Yeah, so…”

“You weren’t listening, were you?” I kept silent “Half ten at mine tomorrow please. I don’t want to miss our flight.” Katy repeated for the second time.

“Okay, see you then.” I said.

“Oh Lucy, one more thing, don’t forget your passport.”

“Hahaha”

“I’m being serious!” And with that she hung up, leaving me lying on my bed, next to my suitcase surrounded by a mountain of clothes that needed to be packed.

After three hours I was finally packed and almost ready for tomorrow, putting my phone and camera on to charge, I went down stairs to grab some food. Mum and Dad had just so timed it that they were out that evening and wouldn’t be back until gone at least ten. It was now only eight.

I searched the cupboards for something to eat and decided to throw on some pasta, knocking up a sauce to accompany the bacon. Fifteen minutes later and it was ready, I sat down on my own, on the sofa to eat it. I switched on the TV and ate my meal. MTV was on and an advert flashed up of Conor Maynard, saying how he was going to be in the States for the next week. I didn’t think too much of it as once again my mind was drifting to the flight tomorrow.

I was still seated on the sofa when my parents arrived back from their night out at about half ten. I’d eaten my pasta and two…maybe three even four glasses of wine later, I was ready for my bed. The last thing I wanted was to be in a crap mood for the morning.

“Ready for tomorrow?” my mum asked me.

“As ready as I’ll ever be.” I answered.

“Now, have you got your passport?” Dad questioned, ‘he’s one to talk’ I thought.

“Yes of course. I’m not that much of an idiot! It’s beside my bed” this was the fifth person reminding me. I didn’t think I was that bad!

We continued chatting for a while, Mum made us coffee; I needed it after the wine. I’d only be seeing my parents for a few minutes in the morning so even though I was tired, I stayed up longer to talk to them. I knew my mum was going to be worrying about us out there- so I was reassuring them that I would be safe and careful.

At half eleven I really couldn’t stay awake any longer and called it a night, after saying goodnight to my parents I went to my room.

The first thing I did was check my phone. Once missed Skype call, four new messages and seven new twitter interactions. The Skype call was from some randomer, most likely wanting me to flash, so I ignored that. Next I read my messages, one from my cousin wishing me a safe flight and the rest were from the girls, sending reminders and saying how excited they were. Don’t get me wrong, I was excited too…it was just the flight. I replied to them all. Finally it was twitter. I had five new followers and two direct messages; I won’t even bother explaining who they were from. After replying to them I simply tweeted- ‘New York tomorrow, hope they’re ready for us #party’

I got changed and put my driving licence and other documents like that in my hand luggage, I may have only been going for a week but another suitcase may have been needed. So much so for the twenty-three kg limit. I got into bed, checking my phone again. This time I had four new interactions. I was too tired to bother checking them. I knew that it would most probably be the girls retweeting my tweet…

I woke up at three in the morning; the nerves were already kicking in. I’d spent the night so far tossing and turning in and out of dreams that were certainly more of a nightmare. Subsequently after twenty minutes of trying to get back to sleep, I decided that it was no use. I went on my phone- twitter. Only two of the girls had retweeted me, Katy and Jess. The other was a follow and direct message of which made me feel physically sick. It was a follow and message from Conor. Conor Maynard. He had asked me for my Skype. My hands wouldn’t function properly. Surely if I replied now, he’d be asleep? I quickly typed my Skype name and quickly sent the message back before I lost my nerve completely. I got up to go to the toilet; that’s one thing I always have to do when I wake up; whether it’s four in the morning or twelve noon. By the time I had returned, Conor had replied:

‘ I’ll add you, haha thanks x ‘

Was I really that funny? I, in my delirious state was somehow hoping that my camera on my phone wasn’t hooked up to Conor’s on his like what can happen in a horror movie. I had no makeup on for a start. I was about to reply when his contact request came though on my Skype, of course I accepted and risked it by messaging ‘Hey x’